Give me Flamenco guitarists

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
man-argentina

Give me Flamenco guitarists

Post by man-argentina » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:22 am

Nothing specific, just looking to find some flamenco players to listen.

Which ones you like ?

I only have listened in deep Paco de Lucia.

Tonit

Re: Give me Flamenco guitarists

Post by Tonit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:15 am

Starting from Paco de Lucia. I hear you...
I would say:

To retrogress, I like Sabicas.
To progress, I like to listen to:
Justo Fernández "El Tuto"
Jerónimo Maya
Antonio Muñoz Fernández

Popular flamenco guitarists include among the others (roughly sorted old to new):
Manolo Sanlúcar
Moraito Chico
Pepe Habichuela

Tomatito
Vicente Amigo
Juan Manuel Cañizares
Nino de Pura
Gerardo Nunez
Paco Serrano
Manolo Flanco

Antonio Rey
Diego Del Morao
Josemi Carmona
Chicuelo
El Perla
Daniel Casares

And maybe Livio Gianola

It's good enough for starting, and then YouTube trending should suggest you some other great stuffs, eventually. Enjoy some of them, and wait for it :D

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:47 am

All of the above. I love Vicente Amigo for his poetic feel, and Gerardo Nunez for his deep, deep knowledge of flamenco harmony. And who can resist the old school of Sabicas? But do try to develop an appreciation of flamenco singing - I know, it's hard at first, but that's the direct route to the source. Dancing and guitar playing are the support act.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:00 am

Really GREAT list provided by Tonit above!

I've been immersing myself in Flamenco guitar studies this past year and my listening does tend to drift more towards the "modern players'> Only traditional name missing from the above list in my name would be Paco Pena. I also agree with Rob - many purists agree that to really understand the "duende" of flamenco, it's important to develop an appreciation of cante (singing). Most of the guitarists listed above record albums that include a good helping of cante along with fantastic guitar playing. One brand new recording you might want to check out on Spotify is Mi Reencuentro by Potito and Vicente Amigo. More traditional recordings, any of the Jose Merce and Moraito Chico cds are wonderful.

Two names I would add to the modern list above are Juan Carlos Romero and Miguel Angle Cortes.

Here are my "heavy rotation" flamenco cds:

*Diego del Morao - Orate ( this is arguably my "desert island" cd....)
*Antonio Rey - Dos Partes Di Mi, Camino Al Alma, Coleres del Fuego
*Miguel Angel Cortes - El Calvario de un Genio
*Gerardo Nunez - Calima, Jucal
*Vicente Amigo - Memoria de los Sentidos (love all his cds, but this is my favorite)
*Tomatito - Aguadulce, Barrio Negra, Paseo de los Castanos
*Manolo Sanlucar - Tauromagia

I've also been reading a lot about Flamenco:

*The Art of Flamenco - DE Pohren
*The Flamencos of Cadiz Bay - Gerald Towson (great book!)
*The Wind Cried - Paul Hecht
*Song of the Outcasts - Robbin Totton

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Check out Diego del Gastor. Also his nephew Paco del Gastor.

man-argentina

Post by man-argentina » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank your for your replies, great list to listen, Tonit you made a great list and with an explanation to follow.

If any knows also some modern aproach would be good to listen too, like with a contrabass, reverb involved in the recordings.

Thanks for the replies.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Wow thank you all. I never thought it would be appreciated so highly.
It's a quick fix at the top of my head so excuse me if it misses your favs.
Aside from that, there is a shape of things to come, sort of: The youngest generation, including:

Amos Lora (progressive, jazz/fusion)
Francisco Prieto "Currito"

Also, I believe danzas benefit you in understanding flamenco and its culture. First thing I was asked was "Do you dance flamenco?" so. I would suggest a top billing Sara Baras to start off with.
Flamenco is beautiful, but it's also beautiful that we share the love for it, maybe as a side of classical.

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:40 pm

Pepe Martinez and Nino Miguel!!! I'm pretty sure there's footage of Pepe Martinez playing in his pajamas smoking a cigar!

Pepe Martinez is my favorite flamenco guitarist... very light and lyrical touch.

I'm actually own one of his Arcangel Fernandez guitars.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:40 am

Rob is so right..if you stick at it eventually you will start getting absorbed into the cante..it is the true heart of flamenco. After all nobody in Spain shuts up in a bar if you start to play compas, but as soon as someone pipes up with some cante...silencio!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Add El Viejin to the list; one of Paco de Lucia's favorite players.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

ronjazz wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm
Add El Viejin to the list; one of Paco de Lucia's favorite players.
Thanks Ron....I have read this name in years past, but your post inspired me to dig a bit deeper. It seems El Viejin recorded just one album, but it was/is highly regarded among aficianados. Gave it a listen on one of the streaming services this morning. A lot of orchestration, reflecting his interest in composition. Excellent guitarist.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 pm

There's
Ramon Montoya and Nino Ricardo always.

Also Paco Cepero recorded and album like a workd music thing with sitar and other players. And anything that Cepero plays on is top of the line.

Paco del Gastor's Nimbus solo record has a fantastic siguiriya - and the Ocora label recording live in France playing for Fernanda and Bernarda de Utrera is must have.

Pedro Bacan on the Vivo label playing for his sister Inez is super. And he and Antonio Moya on Noches Gitanos live recordings are out of sight.

Of the Carmona family, Juan Habichuela is important but his Bro Pepe is more known to non flamenco people. Juan is a great master. There's also Juan Carmona who is an underrated modern player, I think he's Pepes nephew...I forget.

More oldies- you'd be remiss to miss Perico del Lunar- parrot of the moon- and

There's Melchor de Marchena and his now old man son Enrique.

Don't miss Manuel Morao or you miss the whole point and origin of Moraito and his son. Moraito in my top handful.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Also Paco Cepero recorded and album like a workd music thing with sitar and other players. And anything that Cepero plays on is top of the line.
Stephen....I've been meaning to give Paco Cepero a listen and proceeded to do see after reading your post this morning. Listened to both De Pura Cepa and Agua Marina this morning while doing my Sunday chores. Fantastic stuff. Thanks!

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 am

He's really an important guitarist. Underknown outside flamenco circles. Serranito is fun too. I mean important.

If you can find a copy of David Serva's solo recording, Son Gitano something something..... that's a prize. A lit of it is on you tube now I suppose.

Did I mention Paco de Amparo as a follow-up to the del Gastor's? And there's Diego de Moron, who is a fantastic guitarist and his stuff is on you tube. He never really played as much for singers and dancers not much, but it's better that way. His sound and the falsetas he made out of his uncle's style are wild.

And there's a ton of modern players, but everyone is talking about them now and lots of them are working so you find out about them from other aficionados.

There's a great Sevilla guitarist named Carlos Heredia, he died too young, I really liked him. He was one of the best in the league of any modern players but he was 'raro' he had a bad experience early on with a recording deal and never went back. But it's a loss because he had enough original material for a couple solo records.

Chuscales lives in New Mexico and tours. He's a brilliant guitarist. A must hear.

In my humble opinion- the best person to do flamenco and jazz in one mix is Jason Mc Guire- he understands both mediums profoundly, and that's unusual because it's usually done by either a flamenco who's learned jazz later and it doesn't work as well. For me who grew up listening to jazz history. He's also a real vetted guitarist by people like Chuscales and Carlos and the Cortez's.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm not sure what it's worth, but I found quite few guitarists that I enjoy to listen to on the youtube channel "flamencoguitarsforsale".
I know the channel's name does not sound like it, but it's actually music only (and pretty good in my opinion).

Return to “Flamenco Corner”