Place of Juan Carmona in the flamenco guitar pantheon

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
jmlineb

Place of Juan Carmona in the flamenco guitar pantheon

Post by jmlineb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Where does Juan Carmona fit into the flamenco guitar pantheon? What are his best CDs? Reason I ask is that I will be seeing him in concert on 6 January 2019, and until the concert was announced I had not heard of him before. I'm having a hard time categorizing him based on YouTube clips and his own Web site. Nouveau Flamenco? Mix of old and new? Some of his pieces have traditional roots but very diverse and contemporary influences.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Place of Juan Carmona in the flamenco guitar pantheon

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

There is nothing even remotely “traditional” whatsoever in anything he plays.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Stephen Faulk

Re: Place of Juan Carmona in the flamenco guitar pantheon

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 am

Among the modern players who don't play traditionally he's among the least heinous. LOL

He's a great guitarist who's work is rooted squarely in traditional playing, only he extends the format. He's worked a lot with non flamenco musicians.

There's no such thing as nouveau flamenco, that's just a label, like easy listening jazz or smooth jazz...there's really no such things, there's just jazz and flamenco. There's Jerez style, and there's Chicago blues etc. It's about regional style originally, but today things have blended.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Return to “Flamenco Corner”