Flamenco Guitar Method Book ?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
GuidoGitarist

Re: Flamenco Guitar Method Book ?

Post by GuidoGitarist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am

I used a book from Juan Martin, but after a couple of months i visited a flamenco teacher and found out a lot of techniques and essence are hard to learn without a real instructor. Usually flamenco is played and learned visually, also because reading it is really difficult due to all the different notes 8-) I still use Juan Martin's book sometimes as a little extra, but would definitely recommend a teacher over a book.
2013 Perez Luthier India 'Abeto'
Flamenco player

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:42 pm

try Grandos - 4 volume set.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Flamenco is generally see in two modes: old school and new. If the old style is your thing, Juan Martin's books are as good as any. If you prefer nuevo flamenco, I highly recommend Harmonizing Flamenco From The Guitar Vol.1 by Claude Worms, which contains a catalogue of falstetas by the likes of Paco de Lucia, Rafael Riqueni, Oscar Herrero, Manolo Sanlucar, Vicente Amigo, and others.

My flamenco playing is poor, as I don't use nails. Nevertheless, I just love studying how those guys do what they do, which increases my listening appreciation.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 am

I don't play flamenco. However, I know of (and have seen) the two volume book called "Flamenco Guitar Method" by Gerhardt Graf-Martinez (Publisher: Schott Musik International, 2002). You will find it on Amazon, and quite likely other music sales sites/shops. It comes with CD examples. Mr. Graf-Martinez is German, but studied flamenco in Spain. The version I have seen is in English, but I believe it is also available in German. It uses both music notation and tab. From what I can tell, the instructions are well structured, and progressively ordered over 10 extensive lessons and other resources.
Cheers... Richard

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I just started learning from this website, which I find very clear and helpful: https://www.atrafana.com/beginners.html#flamenco101

There is free content and also "methods" you can buy.
I like it because there is no fluff: the videos are really clear and well organised.
Hope it helps!

Return to “Flamenco Corner”