Best mics for recording classical guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: Best mics for recording classical guitar

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 am
I briefly owned a Zoom H6 to use at my life shows and when traveling light. It wasn't well suited for solo guitarists: couldn't read the meter levels with the mic end pointed at me and the preamps didn't have enough gain for finger picking or classical styles. Somehow similarly priced Tascam units have more sensitive preamps. The built-in TAscam mics aren't great but my KM-184 and TLM-102 MT sound great jacked into the Tascam. An outboard mic preamp would be nice but then then it wouldn't get carried out of the house...
:merci: for your review Peter.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Post by alexshur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 am

behringer b5 for recording is a good alternative who has a small budget

Rich Wolf

Post by Rich Wolf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but has anyone been happy with a standalone recorder? If so, what do you recommend?
Cordoba C10 Parlor

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 am

I heard they were doing a reboot on the Neumann U67 this year. You did say “best”, and I assume the price tag will reflect. Make sure if you are buying any vintage that you don’t get one that’s modded.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”