External microphone for still camera

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Francisco

External microphone for still camera

Post by Francisco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

I need to videorecord some samples of my daughter playing. We have a Nikon D3200. It makes good videos but the inbuilt microphone picks up all kinds of noises from within the camera (even when on manual focus there are some noises that come and go for no apparent reason).

The camera has a 3.5 input port for an external microphone.
I’ve tried using a Zoom ZH1 recorder, connecting its 3.5 mm headphone output to the 3.5 mm input port of the camera. But what happens is it picks up (or makes up) background noise, which increases enormously during pauses. Where this noise comes from is a mystery to me.
This is becoming rather frustrating. I wonder if there is a decent external microphone I can buy to get some cleaner recording. I am not looking for something very expensive, sophisticated or professional, just something that does not pick up or create all those annoying noises. It sounds like it should be fairly simple but so far I haven’t been able to get rid of the noises. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2014 Yamaha GC42S

bert

Re: External microphone for still camera

Post by bert » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Seems like you've got auto gain on, on either the H1 or your camera. The gain should be set manually to avoid that increase in noise during pauses.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you! I will investigate this auto-gain feature.
2014 Yamaha GC42S

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am

bert wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Seems like you've got auto gain on, on either the H1 or your camera. The gain should be set manually to avoid that increase in noise during pauses.
The problem is fixed. Your suggestion led to various adjustments both on the H1 and the camera which have greatly reduced the noises. The recordings are now acceptable so I won't need to buy a new microphone or video camera or anything. Thank you again, Bert!
2014 Yamaha GC42S

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”