Have any of you tried tuning your guitar to 432HZ?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
RobMacKillop

Re: Have any of you tried tuning your guitar to 432HZ?

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Seriously, try high-tension or extra-high tension strings down a tone. You might hate it. You might love it.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 pm

A 108 at 420 which is a bit sharpish.

420 is common around these parts.

440 hurts my brain and I don't need to play with an orchestra! Way too shrill for my ears; I prefer bassier registers.

I also use 430 (a bit sharp,) 415 or whatever fits a singer or horn...

Let's not forget cejillas if weve been "brainwashed" into 440! lol

An interesting experiment is to just close your eyes and tune to the sound that feels best or sounds best. What vibrates the guitar more in an open Em. Then reference your tuner if you've been "brainwashed" into one! lol

Also try using a Tuning fork and forego a digital tuner for a change of pace; it might improve the ear and make oneself a better musician.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm

I don't understand why some of you can't answer the simple question of the OP without sarcasm; I can't find any of the suggested metaphysical implications in his question. You can just say you did it and liked it or did it and didn't liked it, and maybe explain why that was so for you.

I join the part of answers saying that it sounds well on some instruments and not so well on others. My main problem with changing the pitch slightly is that my tonal orientation gets a bit confused or disoriented, so I rather prefer to stick to 440 even if I actually preferred 432 or whatever other pitch it might be.

As player of transposing instruments too I then rather sometimes like to go to 415 HZ pitch which is equivalent to tuning down a semi-tone (well actually it would be 415.3 for A). Some guitars get really a quite different character and also the mood is different (whatever people might put into it philosophically).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Isn't it true that 440 is a rather modern tuning that doesn't accurately reflect the history of the guitar which has been tuned lower for the most part throughout?

I would also conjecture that there is a very significant relevance to the spiritual aspects of different tunings and they shouldn't be discarded with sarcasm or ridicule.

Feeling is often deeper and more important to me than logic after all.

Another point possibly relevant to this discussion is that I like different tunings, partly because I also listen to and sometimes play microtonal music, which I think is a good thing for musical development as well as listening pleasure.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”