Best mics for recording classical guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: Best mics for recording classical guitar

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 am
I briefly owned a Zoom H6 to use at my life shows and when traveling light. It wasn't well suited for solo guitarists: couldn't read the meter levels with the mic end pointed at me and the preamps didn't have enough gain for finger picking or classical styles. Somehow similarly priced Tascam units have more sensitive preamps. The built-in TAscam mics aren't great but my KM-184 and TLM-102 MT sound great jacked into the Tascam. An outboard mic preamp would be nice but then then it wouldn't get carried out of the house...
:merci: for your review Peter.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

alexshur

Post by alexshur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 am

behringer b5 for recording is a good alternative who has a small budget

Rich Wolf

Post by Rich Wolf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but has anyone been happy with a standalone recorder? If so, what do you recommend?
Cordoba C10 Parlor

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 am

I heard they were doing a reboot on the Neumann U67 this year. You did say “best”, and I assume the price tag will reflect. Make sure if you are buying any vintage that you don’t get one that’s modded.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 am

here is an interesting subject. for my part I had long ago an audiotechnica "baton", absolutely zero. cold, matte and metallic.
then an omnidirectional sennheiser mkh-20 (equalized in diffuse field unfortunately) not terrible for the guitar in proximity, expensive and unsuitable.
then a U87 Neumann 70s / 80s, excellent on the voice but not for the classical guitar. , rendering mediums twisted, lack of attack, a lot of wheezing, its unrealistic.
then a dpa 4011 tl (high end) cardioid. an excellent condenser microphone that can be used to some extent on stage, (but that feedback anyway) ..
then An oktava capsule cardio + omni, which for a very modest budget can get a result quite close to the DPA. and I am sincere.
then I have a BIV-1 ribbon. not bad .
but I ended up cracking and ordered the kit from artur fisher in Latvia, The RM-6 ... and after some delicate but few welds luckily I had the best surprise of my life. The rendering of the nylon string guitar is of a natural as I had never heard. The recording by tape is different from the others, and on the voices it can be a little dull in the medium, but without too much, on the other hand with voice you have to use an anti-pop filter.

I kept the DPA, the oktava, and of course the RM-6, which although it is not the most expensive, is the best. And besides I even bought a second during a promotional period. he makes specials on his kits regularly. I will keep you informed if necessary (I do not touch money on its sales, I plebiscite its products because they are exceptionally successful without being of a very high price)
no problem of output level on this model, there is enough punch to not have to add a preamp. the output transformer is for many, and the fineness of the ribbon + "motor" too. It's really professional equipment. you can have a look at the bumblebee site.
the microphone is very responsive and very well reproduces the presence of the instrument. the sound is not "dull" quite the contrary. but there is no aggression. a delight.

There is also the rm-5 of the same manufacturer, it is less good for classical guitars and nylon in general by cons, it is better for the covers of amplifiers of electric guitars.

two other people bought this micro RM-6 on the French site. They praise them too. if you want, take a look at the forum, topic: "ribbon microphones"
By Saint Georges !

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Still, there are tube microphones. but a real expensive one. Those who really walk on are the Brauner (Germany), but there are also telefunken .... and some others that I know less.
the problem is that you have to resell your Cadillac to buy 1 microphone each time.
so considering what it costs, talk about it here is anecdotal, we are not on a forum of professional equipment manufacturer of big studios.
However, in terms of results, we can speak of absolute transparency.
I had to use the VM-1 Brauner in the past. it's amazing.
it's so transparent that it does not feel like it's plugged in and working. incredible this microphone. Well above a Km 184 neumann (for those who know).
By Saint Georges !

quavers

Post by quavers » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:05 pm

The quality of even the most basic microphones and digital recording equipment with self contained microphones has improved almost exponentially. This contest is becoming increasingly difficult to judge, especially with consumer electronics, Tascam, Zoom, etc.

When compared to what was available twenty or thirty years ago, even the basic microphone or recorder is amazing. Besides, I have so much corrective action to take after making a recoding that greater clarity is not necessary. For those people who have reached concert level proficiencies, I imagine that there are very discernible differences.

One last comment - I own several old 78rpm recordings of Caruso and also several recordings of Caruso that have been "cleaned up". I will listen through the noise of the 78 record; the cleaned up recordings took out a lot of the good stuff. Virtuosity is recorded even by the crudest recorder. it is undeniable whether you are recording with an old analog machine with a ten dollar mic or a very expensive digital arrangement. Virtuosity is always clear. That is not to say that I do not appreciate a good quality recording.

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 am

rather than posting privately to several random people I prefer to ask the question directly here.
in France there is a site of musicians generalist which gathers almost all the musicians of France and in particular the sintermittents, small groups, etc ... it is called "audiofanzine".
I would like to know the name of the equivalent site in England please.
Thank you for your support.

(There may be more than one)
By Saint Georges !

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 am

rather than posting privately to several random people I prefer to ask the question directly here.
in France there is a site of musicians generalist which gathers almost all the musicians of France and in particular the sintermittents, small groups, etc ... it is called "audiofanzine".
I would like to know the name of the equivalent site in England please.
Thank you for your support.

(There may be more than one)
By Saint Georges !

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”