Video in iPhone with external microphones

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Video in iPhone with external microphones

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I just experimented with making a little video using iPhones and without having to compromise the sound.
The iPhone 6s has a very good video capability (especially when using the back camera (the 'non-selfie' one). The sound is not great, though.
I did a bit research and found a solution:

Use your iPhone with an external USB audio interface.
Here's what you need:
1. An USB audio interface with one or two mic pres and one or two mics.
2. If the interface is bus powered as mine you will need a USB HUB that has a power supply (I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 MKII as my computer sound card and it is bus powered, so I had to find a cheap externally powered USB 2 hub, which is very cheap these days.
3. For iPhone 6s you need an USB3 to lightning adopter with additional power supply lightning input, so that you can charge your iPhone during the filming and recording (uses a lot of battery power).

Connection: Mic(s) -> pres/audio-interface -> USB hub (connected to the power supply) -> USB3 to lightning adopter (connected to a power suply, too) -> iPhone.
For just filming the generic iPhone Camera app si very good. For editing I used an app called vivavideo and it works quite nicely from the import fom the camera roll to publishing in Youtube.

Here's my first result: an improvisation on my newly acquired Juan M Álvarez flamenca blanca:

[media]https://youtu.be/MkzeZecavwY[/media]

This one is using the selfie camera though, which is not as good as the other one
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

DanManGuitar

Re: Video in iPhone with external microphones

Post by DanManGuitar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Nice playing! The sound quality sounds really great. Is this only with the iPhone?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks! Yes, the video was just trimmed to length in the Viva app; no sound processing whatsoever.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

mhjones12

Post by mhjones12 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 am

Sounds pretty good! I’m trying to make a simple video recording myself and it has been difficult. What is the model of the external mic?
Matthew
2017 Hanika Natural PC Custom
1977 Yamaha G-231 II
2017 Batson Gypsy (steel string)
2011 Breedlove 000/CRe (steel string)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

mhjones12 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 am
Sounds pretty good! I’m trying to make a simple video recording myself and it has been difficult. What is the model of the external mic?
It's Zoom iQ7. It goes straight into the lightning connector, is recognized by the camera app as external mic and works as a mid-side stereo. That's why you need to pay attention to the positions of both mics according to the manual. There is also a iQ6 that is a XY microphone and thus easier to handle, but becaus of the directions it doesn't work well with filming, it's only good for audio recording.
Whereas the iQ7 can be turned in a way that goes along with the camera well.

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 am

With an iPhone, try the Rode iXY. Sound quality is excellent, better than the Zooms, at a reasonable price.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 am

Salvo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 am
With an iPhone, try the Rode iXY. Sound quality is excellent, better than the Zooms, at a reasonable price.
The sound may be better, but it has a higher noise in my experience; I bought it and sent it back.

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 am
Salvo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 am
The sound may be better, but it has a higher noise in my experience; I bought it and sent it back.
That's interesting! I had the exactly opposite experience: too much background hiss and hum with the Zoom and remarkably low noise with the iXY. Maybe it's just a issue of poor quality control and we got "bad" units.

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Here's a video of my quartet (i'm the guy on the left):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36xb1e9J-Q

If you Zoom (sorry ...) in on the video, you'll see the iXY on my old iPhone 4. I ran the recording though a very very very light noise filter to reduce the church's air conditioning system noise. The sound is, for me, really satisfying.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Yes, the sound is quite OK and not noisy at all (maybe due to a better unit or due to the nose reduction software; the self-noise is certainly less than the noise of an air conditioning).

I should mention that you could not film with the iPhone and use the Rode iXY meaningfully, because the Rode requires the iphone to lie on its back (like in your film, that is very nice BTW), so you would film the floor or the ceiling. Or you would point the microphone 90 degree against the actual recording axis. But you could help yourself with a flexible lightning extension cable, of course, but because the Rode is not that light, you would have to come up with some idea how to hold it in place.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm

How about setup mirrors to film and record at the same time with the iPhone and Rode iXY?

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 pm
Yes, the sound is quite OK and not noisy at all (maybe due to a better unit or due to the nose reduction software; the self-noise is certainly less than the noise of an air conditioning).

I should mention that you could not film with the iPhone and use the Rode iXY meaningfully, because the Rode requires the iphone to lie on its back (like in your film, that is very nice BTW), so you would film the floor or the ceiling. Or you would point the microphone 90 degree against the actual recording axis. But you could help yourself with a flexible lightning extension cable, of course, but because the Rode is not that light, you would have to come up with some idea how to hold it in place.
Good point. As you said, the iXY is not intended to be used while filming with the same iPhone. It's just an excellent solution for audio if you have a spare old phone.

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm
How about setup mirrors to film and record at the same time with the iPhone and Rode iXY?
Nice idea! With just a little googling I found several unexpensive "periscope" add-on devices for cell phones! Looks promising ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 am

Haha, I have found one for 4.95 Euro at a big online warehouse, I can imagine its optical quality ...

in Germany iQ7 is 99 Euro, iXY is 145 Euro, and I think, with both you can achieve more than what was required by mhjones12, and with the iQ7 probably with less hassle. but each solution is probably possible.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”