PreSonus Firepod VS TASCAM DR-100mkIII or ZOOM H6

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Chauncey Calvin

PreSonus Firepod VS TASCAM DR-100mkIII or ZOOM H6

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I have a PreSonus Firepod but my Mac just died and I no longer have a Firewire port. I am debating whether to sell the PreSonus and get a TASCAM or ZOOM or get a new laptop with a Firewire port. Does anyone have an opinion? Obviously you can only compare the preamps in the devices but I wan't to know if it is worth it to put my money into a recorder or a new laptop. I have other laptops, just none with firewire.
Thanks...

sxedio

Re: PreSonus Firepod VS TASCAM DR-100mkIII or ZOOM H6

Post by sxedio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Are you not planning to use the built in mics at all? Do you want to be able to do overdubbing/editing on the recorder, or just capture and edit on computer? Do you only record solo guitar with 1-2 microphones, or do you also do other projects that might use e.g. the 6 channels of the H6?

My understanding is that the Tascam model is a bit more professional, but aimed quite specifically at location recording in stereo. It all depends on what features of the recorders you want to use.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 pm

I am planning on using the built in mics about 50% of the time; more if they can come close to the two Rode NT2a(s) - that I am currently using. I will mostly be using it for capturing stereo classical solo guitar but I can see using four or more channels in the future, though having only two channels is not a deal breaker. I am mostly interested in sound quality over features but I am wide open to suggestions.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 am

I use the Zoom H5 with a single Neumann KM184 outboard mic. Then I edit in Reaper on my laptop. The preamps are the same as in the Zoom H6 IIRC. I considered the Tascam you mentioned but they were not available locally. Plus the Zoom has a great rep for reliability.

You can hear the results on my Youtube channel if you search for my name and classical guitar.

KP

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am

Chauncey Calvin wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm
I have a PreSonus Firepod but my Mac just died and I no longer have a Firewire port. I am debating whether to sell the PreSonus and get a TASCAM or ZOOM or get a new laptop with a Firewire port. Does anyone have an opinion? Obviously you can only compare the preamps in the devices but I wan't to know if it is worth it to put my money into a recorder or a new laptop. I have other laptops, just none with firewire.
Thanks...
You probably know this already but if you have an expresscard slot in one of your other laptops you can get a firewire card with an external power hookup. I guess you would need external power for something like this but it may still be a good option. There is one on the big river site for £28.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Unfortunately my other laptop is not expandable, but thanks for the suggestion.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 am
I use the Zoom H5 with a single Neumann KM184 outboard mic. Then I edit in Reaper on my laptop. The preamps are the same as in the Zoom H6 IIRC. I considered the Tascam you mentioned but they were not available locally. Plus the Zoom has a great rep for reliability.

You can hear the results on my Youtube channel if you search for my name and classical guitar.

KP
Your recordings sound great. How does the zoom compare when using the built-in mics? I am sure it is not as good as the KM184, but anywhere close?

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I've never even tried the onboard mics. I guess I should try someday.

KP

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 pm

My recent recordings on this forum are with the built in mics of the H5 e.g. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114882 and viewtopic.php?f=122&t=115936

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 pm

In terms of preamps and mic quality my experience with Tascam Dr-40 and Zoom H2 is, that Tascam has plainly better preamps, better mics and better built quality. I have also semi-pro and full-pro Tascam field recorders, and they are both awesome machines.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 pm
In terms of preamps and mic quality my experience with Tascam Dr-40 and Zoom H2 is, that Tascam has plainly better preamps, better mics and better built quality. I have also semi-pro and full-pro Tascam field recorders, and they are both awesome machines.
To be fair to Zoom the H5 and H6 are an improvement over their older models, I think they come much closer to the DR-40.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 am

sxedio wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 pm
My recent recordings on this forum are with the built in mics of the H5 e.g. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114882 and viewtopic.php?f=122&t=115936
These are are also some good recordings. Impressive considering it is using the built-in mics.

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 am

rojarosguitar - which models TASCAMS do have? Is there one that you would recommend?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 pm

I have Tascam DR-40, a Busman moded DR-680 which I'm selling, because I got also the fully professional HS-P82. The last is of course much more expensive and I think in terms of sound and built quality the best. But it's heavy. I think the difference in sound quality to Sound Devices is not big; they are just a bit different.

The Busman moded DR-680 comes sound-wise very close to the HS-P82, with a very slightly less headroom and very tiny bit more noise in the preamps, almost not worth mentioning. It's much lighter than the HS-P82, but it has only four XLR inputs and two balanced TRS inputs accepting microphones and line inputs, but you can expand it to eight channels of simultaneous recorsing by feeding the last two channels from any preamp that gives out a digital SPDF or AES/EBU signal (but not the Audient Mic pre, which is very good sounding, but somehow doesn't work with other SPDF devices).

The DR-40 is smaller, of course, but you can record 4 channels using two built-in mics and two phantom powered XLR mic inputs, and the recording quality is not ways behind the DR-680.

So it all depends on what you want to do. With the DR-40 one can achieve a very good quality already out of the box and especially when using external microphones. With the other two I would dare to produce commercial quality records just using the right microphones, especially with the HS-P82.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Chauncey Calvin

Post by Chauncey Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for the information rojarosguitar.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”