Neumann UMS69 in different configurations on classical guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Neumann UMS69 in different configurations on classical guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Just for all of you who are interested in recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgs27jtdomor ... 4p0xa?dl=0

I tested here Neumann USM69 stereo LDC microphone in different settings (same position but different characteristics).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

rojarosguitar

Re: Neumann UMS69 in different configurations on classical guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

I should mention, it's much more systematic than the last, more erratic test with the Neumann...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 pm

I listened to several and I'm hearing some sort of distorted buzzing sound in each track. Almost like a quiet flanger or something . Do you hear this too? It may just be on my end.
James

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Maybe my fridge :D

I'm not hearing anything I'd suspect to be of electronic origin...

Which take is specially conspicuous to you? I'd listen more intently...

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 pm

I still hear it. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it or there's something going on with my equipment. It kind of sounds like something in the room could be resonating/rattling with your playing. I hear it on every track but it may be a bit louder on the Omni tracks. I'm curious if anyone else hears this. I don't mean to derail your thread btw! :)
James

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Hey Robert, I think I figured it out. I looked at another recent thread of yours that links to gearslutz and listened to the files and heard the same thing. I then listened to the YouTube videos that you posted in the same thread and didn't hear it. They sounded very nice!

It may be that my android tablet has a wierd glitch and the Dropbox files are not playing properly. It's the only thing that I can think of. I tried to listen to them on my imac with better equipment but it's so out of date I couldn't even get drop box to work. If I ever get it working I'll try to give you feedback regarding the different patterns.
James

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Update: Problem solved! It was actually the VLC Player app that was doing it. I just downloaded Pi player and everything sounds great. I'll get back to the thread once I have a chance to listen for awhile.
James

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Oh yes, I had that with an older version of the VLC player on my Macbook. Sounds nasty ...

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm

It's a lot of files to compare but my quick impression is that the last 2 tracks sounded the most relaxed and natural with a good stereo image. I'm listening on isk hd-9999 headphones. I'm not sure if my impression would change if I was listening on my speakers.
James

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Well, what is last depends on how you display the list; is it MS_7 and MS_8?

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Exactly, MS 7 and 8. That's how they automatically displayed for me.
James

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 pm

OK ... I like them best, too, especially number 7. It has some kind of an airy but but at the same time concrete quality paired with a 'calm' (in lack of a better word) impression.
Thanks for your listening!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 am

Maybe it's helpful to explain the different configurations and how I named them:

XY means a 90° stereo coincident array with two microphones of same directional characteristic:
-Ca is cardioid
-Om is omnidirectional*
-WiCa is wide cardioid
-CaLo is the low position of cardioid selector
-HyCa is hyper-cardioid
-Fig8 is figure eight**.

*Remark: theoretically a xy with two omnis is no stereo at all but rather a mono omni, but in practice, because the capsules aren't at exactly same spot and because of their frequency-dependent sensitivity there is some spaciousness.

**Remark: a XY array with two figure eights is known as Blumlein array.

MS means mid side. One capsule is always a figure eight and the other permutates through all the possibilities of the mic. The M capsule, which is the one which can have different characteristics, is pointing to the player and the other is perpendicular to it and points to the right side as seen from the listeners perspective. The output of the microphone needs to be 'matrixed' to win the left-right stereo signal. This can be done in hardware or software.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”