tascam digital audio recorder dr-44wl vs dr-40

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
SteveL123

tascam digital audio recorder dr-44wl vs dr-40

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:52 pm

What should I buy, tascam dr-44wl vs dr-40 ?

The pro on the dr-44wl is the wifi, which allows wireless transfer (do not have to remove SD card ever) and remote control via my smartphone. The con of the dr-44l is it does not have A-B, only X-Y position for the internal mics. I use it to record myself at home on CG.
Price difference is $35 $165 dr-40, $200 DR-44wl

I really like the wifi feature. Will not having A-B make a big difference?

The wifi one is $25 to $35 more

sxedio

Re: tascam digital audio recorder dr-44wl vs dr-40

Post by sxedio » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm

I always thought the wireless was a bit of a gimmick, but maybe you have a particular use for it e.g. remote control so you record your gigs from the back of the room? I think the dr-44wl has a more fully implemented multitrack recording feature if you are into arranging quartets, songwriting etc. The dr-40 also allows overdubbing but is more limited.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:36 am

sxedio wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm
The dr-40 also allows overdubbing but is more limited.
Didn't realize that. Thanks.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:36 am
sxedio wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm
The dr-40 also allows overdubbing but is more limited.
Didn't realize that. Thanks.
I was considering buying it for a while and spent some time with the manual, this was one of the functions I was interested in. In the end I went with the H5 that was available at a good price in a shop near me.

mciacchi

Post by mciacchi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 pm

The A-B setting in the DR-40 is helpful for recording ensembles, for example. A guitar quartet, for example, with the recorder very close can give a nice stereo sound. These recorders are more commonly used as "field" recorders, for live situations where you don't have a lot of mixing to do. The multitrack feature is more useful for a home studio kind of setting, but if that's the case I'd suggest an audio interface and a couple of good mics that will give you freedom to experiment with mic placement and other things.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm

I've recorded a string quartet sitting in a semicircle and the H5 in the centre of the semicircle, and you still get pretty good stereo separation even with the X-Y. On the other hand if you have a duo sitting fairly closely together and the recorder in front of them, you don't get much stereo separation (and I don't think A-B would help).
All these recorders have two XLR ins so you can always attach external mics and experiment with placement beyond the constraints of the built in mics.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”