a microphone to record my guitar playing, asking for an advise

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
OlgaVovk
Student of the online lessons

a microphone to record my guitar playing, asking for an advise

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Dear all,
I feel like I am ready to record myself.
I wonder if anybody can give me an advise of what kind of equipment I need?
I know that I need a microphone for sure. Currently I am recording myself on my iPad, but I feel like I need a better quality.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

I don't need a very expensive and smart equipment. I am not playing so good, not yet.

But something in the middle range.

Thank you!
Olga

soufiej

Re: a microphone to record my guitar playing, asking for an advise

Post by soufiej » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Try a portable digital recorder first. Virtually all of them have very good to quite surprisingly good microphones built in. Zoom and Tascam are, IMO, leaders in the market. Learn how to place the microphones for the best tone you desire, a few inches up or down the fretboard will make a large difference in sound quality. Then move to a decent DAW (digital workstation) to complete your work.

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Dear soufiej, thank you very much for your advise.
it is very helpful, I will definitely look up Zoom and Tascam.
Thank you!
Olga

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm

They are good options, for sure - have a look at the recording section here on the forum too (under Classical Guitar / Classical Guitar Classes). You can get mics and interfaces that will work with your existing iPad, if that's more convenient. Konstantine Margaritis posted a review of the Apogee Mic+ in a recent thread - this mic has an interface built in so you can plug it straight into the iPad. I guess you would be able to pick up the previous generation for a lot less on e - b a y.

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Dear Rasputin,
Thank you for your advice, yes it looks like Apogee MiC+ is the best option for me.
I will post a sample of my recording when I got one.
So we all can hear how it works
I promise :-)

Thank you!
Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Dear all,
thank you very much for answering my questions and for the information
If anybody is interested,
I just ended up buying Blue Yeti microphone, this one (https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/yeti/)
The reasons I have are as follows:
1. it was on sale and instead of paying 129$$ I payed 99 $$.
2. It has good reviews.
3. The guy in the store was playing guitar also :-)
4. It was very helpful with making audio for our community theater.
5. It was easy to use.
6. It was black.
As soon as I record myself with something worth listening I will post my audio.
best,
Olga

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Olga, thank you for listing the attributes of the Blue Yeti microphone. Yes, the Blue Yeti microphones seem to have a stellar reputation and I agree with you, I don't like the silver, but am going to go with the black. Not sure if you live in the US, but here in Canada, the pricing is about $179 CAD. From the reviews though, it looks like a solid investment.

May I inquire as to what you are using for the video element - an iphone or a webcam?

Thanks for your insights. Regards, Judy.

Jules Catbird

Post by Jules Catbird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:59 am

Hi, I checked out the Blue Yeti- it looks good - is a large diaphragm mic - which I think is nice for classical guitar recording.It is amazing what you can get these days.
You are however paying $99 for a mic and the analog to digital convertor - and it probably works great.
You may want to compare some time when you are ready to dive in more and see what some of the other (more expensive) A/D convertors sound like.

If you can afford more, there are quite a few out there. I use an Apogee and they are very high quality (and expensive). Its all part of the recording chain - the mic, the convertor. Then you can get into pre-amps and more.
Its great to record at home - but then you also need a quiet space.

Enjoy,
JC

teddyofarrell

Post by teddyofarrell » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharing about your recent purchase of your Yeti Microphone!
All the best,
Teddy
2016 Cordoba Lmtd SP12 Spruce
2001 Hector Marrero, Cedar
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Andres Segovia

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 am

Try a Shure MV88. Can plug it into your iPad and it is capable of great recordings if you get the placement right.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 am

I have had good results with a single Neumann KM 184 small diaphragm condenser mic plugged directly into a Zoom H5 recorder. Then I transfer the files to my laptop and edit them with Reaper DAW software. I edit out the noise, add a light reverb, and a slight bass boost in the EQ.

If you search for my name plus classical guitar in Youtube you can hear the results.

KP

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 am

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 am
Try a Shure MV88. Can plug it into your iPad and it is capable of great recordings if you get the placement right.
What placement do you have good experience with? MV88 is stellar sounding, but only close up, because of its low power circuits...?
Thanks

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:53 am

el_guitarrero wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 am
prawnheed wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 am
What placement do you have good experience with? MV88 is stellar sounding, but only close up, because of its low power circuits...?
Thanks
Not really close, no. I find it best to have it a bit further away than a traditional condenser would be so that the side capsule can pick up the sound from the room. I generally have mine about 50cm from the guitar - about as far away as I can reach by leaning towards it with my arm outstretched.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 am

Hi Olga
The topic of which mic to use for self recording comes up from time to time in the forum. Here is my contribution to an earlier discussion: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=116094&p=1235814#p1235814. But also look at other suggestions in the same thread; it may help further.
Cheers... Richard

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 am

OlgaVovk wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Dear all,
I feel like I am ready to record myself.
I wonder if anybody can give me an advise of what kind of equipment I need?
I know that I need a microphone for sure. Currently I am recording myself on my iPad, but I feel like I need a better quality.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

I don't need a very expensive and smart equipment. I am not playing so good, not yet.

But something in the middle range.

Thank you!
Olga
an alternative to neumann (expensive) are the Oktava microphones. we find used for 100/150 $
I have one at home with cardioid capsule and omnidirectional capsule. it is already very satisfactory. the sound is not smat or flat or cold, quite the contrary. they are condenser microphones, their sensitivity is sufficiently high.
the quality is in any case superior to the original pickups tascaam compact recorders, zoom, sony, etc ....
two people in addition to me have experienced on the French forum, the result is better than the mics of tascam the most upscale of the moment.
even in monophony.
Last edited by milsabords on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Saint Georges !

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”