I need to amplify my classical guitar quick !

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
kiki47

I need to amplify my classical guitar quick !

Post by kiki47 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:05 am

Hello gentlemen,

I really need to find a solution and amplify my classical guitar in a decent way, to play on the street but especially in the subway. Also I don't have much time (like 10 days). I play classical pieces and I've always found the sound of amplified nylon strings on "electro-acoustic guitars" very bad. I have plenty of classical guitars.

Anyway, I'm kinda noob at this so I've searched the internet and this fine website.
Notably this topic viewtopic.php?f=16&t=105451&p=1122730

Apparently, using an external mic is bad.
So, my idea is to use the AKG C 411 as a microphone and the Cube Street as the amp. Those products seems to be popular and have good reviews.

However, I would only be able to plug in the mic into the XLR input of the amp. No problem with that ? isn't this XLR input for vocals ?
Also there's the C 411 PP and the C 411 L. I think one of them is to be used along a AKG preamp. What about that ? Worth it ?

I will test the gear before buying of course, but do you think i'm going to the right direction with that ?

Thanks guys, I feel kind of overwhelmed by information, I think I need to be reassured. I don't have that much time. :desole:

George Crocket

Re: I need to amplify my classical guitar quick !

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 am

Hi kiki47. Welcome to the forum. I expect you will receive help soon. Meantime, please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

kiki47

Post by kiki47 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Ok, I'm gonna partially answer my question.
The C411 needs phantom power and the C411 L model can provide that power with the B29 L box.
So yes, I would have to use that model if I want to play with a Cube Street or the AC-33 amp, because they don't have phantom power supply.

So the guitar would have the C411 L mounted. The C411 wired to the B29L phantom supply which would send the signal to the amp with a mini-jack to XLR wire. So I'll have to use the mic channel on those amps, not the guitar channel.

I've yet to test those things, and I hope I'll find a shop which has both of them available. I'm still open to suggestions and remarks !

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Ever look into the Bartlett Guitar Mic? You can plug it into an acoustic guitar amp such as the Fishman Loudbox Artist directly since the artist has phantom power. The Bartlett paired with the Fishman should yield a natural sound that is as close to the real thing as possible.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

opat

Post by opat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Take your guitar to an expert and get a K&K pickup installed.
No side drilling/modifications required. Great sounding pickup.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:51 am

I second the Bartlett or pickup for playing outside. They will let you be able to get much more volume before feedback and pick up less extraneous noise. A microphone will pick up wind noise, even with a windscreen. I don\t know about the amp, I use an AER, but I think it would be expensive to bring to an outdoor public setting.

Why may I ask do you need it so quickly?

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Kremona pickup, $70, no installation problems, great sound, easy to move from guitar to guitar. plug and play into any amplifier.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Subway? street?
mic is better for sound of guitar, but noise? it will get a lot of it...
you need a pickup...
or new guitar with pickup.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 am

Deleted.

kiki47

Post by kiki47 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi again, sorry i'm late but this is what I finally decided to use:

-Condenser microphone pickup: AKG C411 L
-Phantom Power ("pre-amp"): AKG B29 L
-Portable PA system: Behringer MPA40BT pro

I'm using this to play in the subway now to play things like Jongo, Cavatina, Campanas del Alba, Gran Vals... It sounds correct but i'm having some interference and opened a new topic there: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=119668

skipintro

Post by skipintro » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Microvox http://www.microvox.co.uk/
Tiny microphone on a velcro pad, preamp in a little box which you can place anywhere or clip to your belt, then a lead to an amplifier + speakers.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I have two amplifiers one is Roland cube street complete waste of money for classical guitar
but I have an old Hughes kettner edition blue 15rk I am fine with it

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”