Same Microphones - Different Application

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Same Microphones - Different Application

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am

Here I compare a pair of Earthworks QTC1 omnis in two different applications: One take is using them just as a spaced pair (approx. 20cm spread and 56 cm distance to the top of the guitar. (Take A)
The other one is with same distance parameters (20 cm spread and 56 cm to the guitar top) but facing the table with a very small gap between mic and table surface, thus making a boundary microphon array. The distance to the boundary surface I used was the thickness of a cheque card, which is maybe a bit too big, so it goes as an entry level experiment. (Listen to Take B)

(For more information on boundary microphones see http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/3 ... 0.pdf?1690 )

Here's the link to the Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4yl79u7y4u3 ... lHOHa?dl=0

I always liked the way how the QTC1 sound but thought they are a bit too noisy for such a relatively quiet application. Theoretically one should gain proud +6dB more accoustical gain and thus the microphones should become much quieter.

I'm curious how you hear the difference. For comparison I mono-normalized (peak!) to - 3dB, so that the apparent volume becomes more equal. No further processing whatsoever.
The Recorder was Sound Devices Mixpre-6 and it was recorded and mixed down 96/24. The guitar used is an Juan Miguel Alvarez flamenca blanca.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

rojarosguitar

Re: Same Microphones - Different Application

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:21 pm

I thought I should execute the positioning of the boundery array more carefully, and that resulted in the Take C in the same Dropbox folder. The difference is that the gap is half of the one before and I took greater care to set the diaphragms of the microphones parallel to the surface.

Take B had a gap of a bit over 1mm, now (take C) it's 0.5mm

I also added the Take D which has a wider spread between the omnis (27cm) and small gap of 0.5mm.

Listen for yourself...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”