Alternative to the DPA 4011

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Thomas Dauge

Alternative to the DPA 4011

Post by Thomas Dauge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Hello everybody,

Could you tell me please what is the best alternative to Dpa 4011 for you in a budget under 400 euros ?

I find :
- Rode NT5 matched pair
- Oktava MK 012 - 01 MSP2 pair
- Haun MBC660L pair

Or maybe something else ?

Many thanks

rojarosguitar

Re: Alternative to the DPA 4011

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 am

Line Audio CM3 - great mic for little money, if you can live with subcardioid.

Haun as well as Rode are a bit on the bright side of sound.

Do you mean under 400$ each or a pair?
Superlux S241 is 89 Euro each and the ORTF fixed pair S502 is 129 Euro (stereo!) both are not half bad and (at least S502) very easy to mod to get even better.

Of course none of the mics you mentioned is any near to DPA.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 pm

For Line Audio CM3 (do some research, they have a great many positive feed-backs) you can search for No Hype Audio who represent them. These I know well, because I have them - hard to beat if you don't want to pay megabucks. I also own the Superlux S502 and have also tested the S241 pair. For what they cost also really surprisingly decent mics.

Of course everything also depends on where they go into, because if you put even DPA 4011 into a low quality preamp it's not so much fun.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am

I second the CM3s, these are possibly the only mics that sound natural for CG at this price point.

Search on youtube for my clips.

Konstantine

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:38 am

I should add that the side coloration is quite significant with the CM3, so they would be best used in NOS or AB configuration; don't work so well with ORTF config.

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am

Thomas Dauge wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am
Hello everybody,

Could you tell me please what is the best alternative to Dpa 4011 for you in a budget under 400 euros ?

I find :
- Rode NT5 matched pair
- Oktava MK 012 - 01 MSP2 pair
- Haun MBC660L pair

Or maybe something else ?

Many thanks
yes, good pre-selection I think. I have an oktava with cardio and omni capsules. for the price, it is the best alternative to a dpa 4011 (I have for my part also a DPA 4011 TL).
I do not know much about rode nt-5
and not at all the Haun mbc 660L

With a not very high-end sound card, the difference between a dpa 4011 tl and a oktava is not huge. and second hand oktava only costs 100/160 £

an alternative below £ 400 with its better than the dpa, it exists; RM-6 from artur fisher (bumblebee company in Latvia). a small engineer craftsman has developed a ribbon microphone quite exceptional. I have two at home! for classical guitars recording is better than a DPA ... a lot of presence of the instrument, a natural rendering (without excessive shine), punch, and "hot". and with a sacred level of output. I am very happy for myself.

otherwise, the beyerdynamic M 160 ribbon microphone is an excellent microphone. a reference.

I apologize if the text seems odd in places, I use google translation to translate.
By Saint Georges !

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 pm

I support the work of this craftsman because you see I took a long time to understand the characteristics that must have a microphone to be effective at the restitution of the sound of a classical guitar ./ ​​flamenco / treble acoustic nylon.
I spent a lot of money over the years ... In the end, the more a microphone has a straight answer, the better. and that's how I sold the neumann u 87 to buy a dpa 4011 (tl). it is a high-class microphone, and it is recommended to have a sound card rather high-end to appreciate all qualities, or to add a very good preamplifier, (+ £ 800 investment minimum) ).

The manager of funky junk france had long ago drawn my attention to the Royer ribbon mics which he said would make it better than a dpa. but it was very expensive and the low level of output had scared me off.
It was much later when I saw more affordable prices that I decided to try it out with a pair of BIV-1s (igor burdukova) bought with a friend collaborator who has a professional studio.

it is an interesting and inexpensive micro, but without being exceptional.
A desire tickled me, to try the blow with those of artur fisher as I had heard good and listened to good. During a promotional offer, I started, and sold my biv to my friend of the studio.

kit and promotion it did not come back too expensive, there was 30% discount for this Christmas there at the time, I took the ribbon option 1.2 micron because more sensitive and more accurate, better level of output too. and the clamp (the diameter of the microphone is quite important and its weight is consequent). less than 300 euros VAT included and transport costs.

with this microphone there I almost never use EQ (a little cut in the bass) but I have no sibilance problem in heut medium. the sound is more natural and more present than with the dpa. the pressure sensor (the ribbon) is totally different from a condenser microphone membrane. on the rm-6 there is a trick that reinforces the linearity and reduces the distortion is; engine. if you are interested, look at the difference between the two rm-6 / rm-5 ribbons, you will understand why with the explanation it gives.

I came to the end of a long adventure to finally take what I had always been advised by funky junk france failing to pay me a Brauner VM-1 to 4000 euros. I saw some videos so they used AEA N 22 and AEA N8 tape sms at GSI (international guitar show).

a forum makes it possible to share our experiences, one can find there a disinterested (pecuniary) sharing and not the speeches of merchants. It is in this spirit that I speak here and that I relay my experience with this particular microphone. The last compositions I posted on the delcamp forum in France were recorded with this microphone. sometimes in mono sometimes in stereo. sometimes I tried capacitor + ribbon, but it's a delicate mix.

(last composition posted, "the little red clown") "le petit clown rouge".
By Saint Georges !

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:48 pm

@milsabords I have a bit of a hard time to really understand what you try to say here.

I have experimented quite a bit with high end ribbon microphones like Royer and Samar, as well as with good but cheaper China Ribbons (like sE) and finally came to the conclusion that I would not use them on CG alone (though they fare very well as a mid microphone in a 3 microphones configuration)

DPA is certainly a very fine microphone, but rather a bit on a cold, almost sterile side. Oktavas are fine for what they cost, but than CM3 are still much cheaper and as good as Oktavas.

Another mic I came across and that seems to me a very decent mic is the 3U Audio Model Warbler 127-C-Flat. They have a warm mut unhyped sounds with a relatively honest flat frequency response, and are transformer coupled. They remind very much the Neumann K84 which were ways better than the modern K184... Cost is 250 US$ per piece including shipping.

I'm planning to make a comparison shootout with these and DPA and some others, when I get to it.

Thomas Dauge

Post by Thomas Dauge » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Many thanks for your advices , unfortunately i have not received mail notification for your reply....so i bought oktava mics and a small preamp . Finally my first home recording is better than what i expected, but of course it could be better .... hard to choose a microphone when you dont know anything about recording .

Merci Milsabords.

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Thomas Dauge wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:09 pm
Many thanks for your advices , unfortunately i have not received mail notification for your reply....so i bought oktava mics and a small preamp . Finally my first home recording is better than what i expected, but of course it could be better .... hard to choose a microphone when you dont know anything about recording .

Merci Milsabords.
it's normal that you have not received notifications I signed up recently.
By Saint Georges !

milsabords

Post by milsabords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:48 pm
@milsabords I have a bit of a hard time to really understand what you try to say here.

I have experimented quite a bit with high end ribbon microphones like Royer and Samar, as well as with good but cheaper China Ribbons (like sE) and finally came to the conclusion that I would not use them on CG alone (though they fare very well as a mid microphone in a 3 microphones configuration)

DPA is certainly a very fine microphone, but rather a bit on a cold, almost sterile side. Oktavas are fine for what they cost, but than CM3 are still much cheaper and as good as Oktavas.

Another mic I came across and that seems to me a very decent mic is the 3U Audio Model Warbler 127-C-Flat. They have a warm mut unhyped sounds with a relatively honest flat frequency response, and are transformer coupled. They remind very much the Neumann K84 which were ways better than the modern K184... Cost is 250 US$ per piece including shipping.

I'm planning to make a comparison shootout with these and DPA and some others, when I get to it.
the machine translation may have generated some inconsistencies.
I come to share my lived experience. just like you.
By Saint Georges !

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 pm

It's OK, I didn't mind it, I'd just like to understand it better ... :D

Here is a new thread and you can check out all in all 9 different microphones in comparison...
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 6&t=123622

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 am

The direct link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yhjifwn5vlbg ... Q4j8a?dl=0

Yo will find there DPA, CM3, MBHO, 3U and AKG...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 6&t=123622
Here I have extensively commented on the different microphones I'm using:

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”