Kremona pickup

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
tobymcwilliams

Kremona pickup

Post by tobymcwilliams » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello Everyone,
I recently saw a guitarist using a Kremona pickup, which is held in place at the tie block by the string loops. Has anyone tried this pickup, and what did you think of it?
Thank you!

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: Kremona pickup

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 pm

I have one and I like it. Reviewers will say that it is too flimsy especially if you are a gigging guitarist, and that is true. But the sound is good. It changed the break angle of my strings though, and I developed a buzz in my 6th string when the pickup is in place. I think I can fix that if I pay more attention to how I tie it on at the bridge.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 pm

I love it, it's so simple, easy and inexpensive, yet makes a good guitar sound very good with the right amplification system. It's somewhat flimsy, but a little ingenuity can go a long way in making it stronger without affecting the sound. Even some of the "name" players use it for concerto or ensemble work, because it demands no altering of the guitar at all.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

I had one on my Kremona ukulele and it's decent but not great. It's slightly more woody sounding than an under saddle piezo but is subject to loud noises if you even slightly bump the bridge or cable. And it lacks controls so you can't mute or adjust volume if feedback rears its ugly head. It's okay for low volume playing but if I needed a pickup for regular gigs I'd spring for a guitar with a built in system or do a permanent install of a good system.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

Peter, those are both good options, of course, but the Kremona is there for folks who want to easily amplify their classical guitars without alteration. And the Kremona works even better when paired with a multi-effects box with a volume pedal; EQ is available for controlling feedback, volume control too. As a flamenco player and someone who likes to use the guitar as a rhythm box as well, the fact that the Kremona picks up sounds from hitting the guitar is a plus, and the cable can easily be secured with a little velcro so that it doesn't interfere. But, for higher-volume ensemble work, your recommendations are reasonable; I have a few guitars with the RMC system built in, excellent sounds, but really pricey. I find that the Kremona on one of my luthier-built guitars is great for background music gigs, wedding ceremonies, small string ensemble concerts, and even concerti; I recently worked with a chorus playing Castelnuovo Tedesco's Romancero Gitano and Jeffery Van's civil war poem setting for guitar and chorus, Kremona worked very well.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”