Shall I go ahead and buy Boss RC-1 Loop Station?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Thomas

Re: Shall I go ahead and buy Boss RC-1 Loop Station?

Post by Thomas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 am

One question . I am not ready to record multiple layers so one layer is more than enough for me
I press one time start recording but when I first again instead of stopping the green light is on and the red light is on too that means it is recording another layer. I know I need to press two times to completely stop recording but it becomes difficult to stop on right time.

Can't it be so I can just press one time to record and another to stop and play?

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I haven’t used this looper but there might be a setting to change behavior of switch. You can also use a double external foot switch (single will work too). Then you can have a total of three switches. This makes using them much easier.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Stopping the loop recording and getting the timing right is tricky until you've practiced doing it for a while. I suggest using the metronome... not just for help in keeping exact time... but because If you turn on the metronome the looper changes how it handles stopping the loop recording... you still have to click twice but you can do it a little early (in relation to the beat) and the RC3 automatically puts the stopping point exactly on the coming downbeat. That's how I usually use it. (I think I explained that right... don't have it in front of me and I usually use it without thinking now)

I haven't used an external footswitch, but I bet Robin is right that an external footswitch would make stopping the loop recording simpler. I didn't try one yet as it feels odd that you'd need to plug a footswitch into your footswitch, haha. I think I'll try it with one today and see.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:16 pm

I have a yamaha keyboard with pedal and just now tried it and it does the job of stopping it without the need to double press :)

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Well done!

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I also found a solution from the device itself I will put it hear just in case some body look in search engine and come to this topic.

====

From the factory, when you press the RC-3's pedal it switches its operation in this order: REC > DUB > PLAY.

To change the order to REC > PLAY > DUB, follow these steps.

1. Turn off the RC-3's power by disconnecting your cable from the OUTPUT A jack.

2. While pressing the TAP TEMPO button, turn on the power by re-connecting your cable to the OUTPUT A jack—"rd" appears in the display.

3. Release TAP TEMPO, and then use the up or down arrow buttons to select "rP."

4. When you're finished, press TAP TEMPO once to store the new setting and return to Play mode.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:02 pm

One more question: Did you guys buy the Power Supply Charger? The original power supply charger is too expensive. The company is making every thing possible make big bucks. What rechargeable 9v batteries and charger or power supply do you recommend?

Thanks

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 pm

I have the power adapter made by Boss. I thought it was reasonably priced, given the value of the pedal. I've used the 1-Spot 9v adapter also, but it's not that much cheaper.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm

You can try using any cheap adaptor BUT there is a big difference between the cheap supplies and the ones intended for this purpose. Not only is the voltage of cheaper power supplies inconsistent but they also tend to introduce more noise (particularly when daisy chaining to power more than one effect. Since you’re using only one pedal, it might not be noticeable and you might get away with using a cheaper supply but I recommend using a good one. The one spot is a pretty good value for the money and is a regulated power supply.
Last edited by robin loops on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

My Roland cube street amp used the same voltage 6 AA battery or 9v power supply so I am using right now that one
Same company and should be reliable :)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:01 pm

I believe that is the same power supply as the one they sell. Either way it most likely a regulated power supply.
-James-

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:05 pm

bert

Post by bert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Be aware of power supplies were + and - are reversed.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm

bert wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:15 pm
Be aware of power supplies were + and - are reversed.
Is that one that I am using that kind?

bert

Post by bert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:26 pm

I think Boss and Roland are the same company, so probably have the same connection, but Yamaha has a reversed connection.
Just be sure to compare the icons on adaptor and box.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”