Zoom H5 vs. Steinberg Ur22

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
psmi

Zoom H5 vs. Steinberg Ur22

Post by psmi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 am

Hello,
I consider upgrading of my recording setup.

Currently I use just Zoom H2n, but would like to use a pair of external microphones. As zoom has no XLR inputs, i want to either :

1) replace H2n with better portable recorder with XLR inputs, probably Zoom H5 + buying 2 SDC mics (Rode, Oktava, Line Audio etc.)

Or

2) keep Zoom h2n (definitely want to have portable rec) but buying some simple sound interface like Steinberg Ur22 or FOCUSRITE Scarlett 2i2 etc. + buying 2 SDC mics

And the question is, in terms of sound quality, how would you compare zoom h5 vs. these 2 channel interfaces? Mic configuration would be the same, but what about the quality of A/D convertors etc.

I definitely prefer portability, ease of use and keeping as few devices as possible. However if the sound quality of dedicated interfaces is better, i would choose option 2.

Thank you for all your opinions!
Petr
"If you want to discover the Universe, discover your Self." Gautama Buddha

Esteve 6PS 2007
Camps Sonata Satin - solid spruce
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11 - solid cedar

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Zoom H5 vs. Steinberg Ur22

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 am

A dedicated interface should give you a much better sound for the money, not least because you are not paying for facilities you won't use (the mics, on board recording etc). There's a good reason studios use such things rather than the likes of Zoom as their interfaces. I have an Audient iD14 which is a little more than the two you mention but has wonderful preamps.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 am

psmi wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 am

1) replace H2n with better portable recorder with XLR inputs, probably Zoom H5 + buying 2 SDC mics (Rode, Oktava, Line Audio etc.)

Or

2) keep Zoom h2n (definitely want to have portable rec) but buying some simple sound interface like Steinberg Ur22 or FOCUSRITE Scarlett 2i2 etc. + buying 2 SDC mics

And the question is, in terms of sound quality, how would you compare zoom h5 vs. these 2 channel interfaces? Mic configuration would be the same, but what about the quality of A/D convertors etc.

I definitely prefer portability, ease of use and keeping as few devices as possible. However if the sound quality of dedicated interfaces is better, i would choose option 2.
I'm not sure the Rode etc. mics give you a vast improvement over the built in Zoom H5 mics, unless you are going to spend a lot of time optimising mic placement with positions other than xy, or if you are using omni or other pick up patterns. My recordings of the last few years on this forum are all with Zoom H5 without very intricate placement e.g. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114466

If you want portability, ease of use and minimum set up time, use the H5 by itself (perhaps have a look at Tascam, Sony and other more high end makers too). If you are building up towards a more general purpose home studio, get some good SDC's but also consider an interface with more channels. Today you might be recording solo guitar but tomorrow you might be accompanying a singer or offering your services to a chamber group. The H5 is already giving you the option of recording 4 channels simultaneously.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

psmi

Post by psmi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

sxedio wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 am

I'm not sure the Rode etc. mics give you a vast improvement over the built in Zoom H5 mics, unless you are going to spend a lot of time optimising mic placement with positions other than xy, or if you are using omni or other pick up patterns. My recordings of the last few years on this forum are all with Zoom H5 without very intricate placement e.g. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114466

If you want portability, ease of use and minimum set up time, use the H5 by itself (perhaps have a look at Tascam, Sony and other more high end makers too). If you are building up towards a more general purpose home studio, get some good SDC's but also consider an interface with more channels. Today you might be recording solo guitar but tomorrow you might be accompanying a singer or offering your services to a chamber group. The H5 is already giving you the option of recording 4 channels simultaneously.
Thank both of you for valuable comments!
I will try to borrow somewhere ZOOM H5 and a pair of Rode mics to see if the improvement over built-in H5 mics (or H2n in my case!) is worth the investment or not. I do not think in the future I will record anything else except my CG pieces, but of course you never know ...

I have access to a nice room (about 80 m2) with no furniture etc. which could be hopefully used for my CG recording.
Of course It means I will experiment with various mic placing patterns, so ... lets learn something new :)

thank you guys!
Petr
"If you want to discover the Universe, discover your Self." Gautama Buddha

Esteve 6PS 2007
Camps Sonata Satin - solid spruce
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11 - solid cedar

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”