What guitar cable do you recommend ?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Thomas

What guitar cable do you recommend ?

Post by Thomas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Is there any recommendation for good guitar cable to connect to amp?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: What guitar cable do you recommend ?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Any reputable make should be fine, but bear mind not to have one longer than you need; and decide if a silent jack is useful ( eg if you will need to unplug with the amp on )... though I find that after a while the 'silent' mechanism starts to fail.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks but what is a reputable make? I have no idea about brand

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Well not knowing where in the world you are, and which brands may be available, the best I can suggest is i. if possible visit a music shop and ask their advice, ii. failing that do some internet searches and pick one mid-way between the cheapest and the most expensive (or just get the latter if you are happy to pay a lot). You may well come across forum discussions swearing that x y or z brand is good for this or that, or twice as good as another brand that's twice as much, but for your purposes the main thing is to not worry, get something in the middle of the price range and get playing. In time with more experience you may well end up getting a different one and keep the first as a spare. If you are doing something really important always have spare, as they get older the connections can become unreliable or fail altogether. Always pull it out holding the hard bit of the plug, not the flexible cable.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:48 pm
Any reputable make should be fine, but bear mind not to have one longer than you need; and decide if a silent jack is useful ( eg if you will need to unplug with the amp on )... though I find that after a while the 'silent' mechanism starts to fail.
That's one of the great things about using a pedal, you can mute the pedal and unplug. I have found my Zoom A2 to be great help live exactly because of the mute and unplug, mute and tune options, as well as the patch/sound options it gives me.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:29 pm

It's all marketing...the insulator makes little difference, the only thing that matters is a good solder joint at both ends. The braided cables, fancy exterior...who cares.

So long as the cable has standard shielding, it will be fun. Before you buy the cable check the solder joints...

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 am

Avoid Guitar Center's store brand, even though it has a lifetime warranty, you'll spend half a lifetime arguing with them. The hardware ends are total crap. I find that it's worth spending on really good, lifetime guaranteed Mogami or an equivalent. I paid up to $125 for a 20" cable, 20 years ago, and it's still as tight and dependable and quiet as the first day (Monster, no longer around, I guess). But I do this for my living, so I really try to avoid problems. But Stephen's points are sensible. Guitarists, on the other hand...
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”