Microphone?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Petemayo

Microphone?

Post by Petemayo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:52 pm

I need more volume to be heard in some places. I am thinking a microphone for classical guitar that will plug into an amp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ronjazz

Re: Microphone?

Post by ronjazz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 am

look at the Kremona pickup. It slides under the strings loops on top of the bridge, no alteration of the instrument. It uses a 1/4" jack one the amp end, so can go into a nice processor before the amp or PA system. I sounds remarkably good if EQ'd well, and costs only about $70. If you want a mic, try to find one that clips into the soundhole, you'll have less trouble with wind noise and setup. They are made by Audio Technica for around $150, I think. They will need an adaptor for a guitar amp (most of which will never sound good at all, since they are voiced for electric guitar). You'll want an "acoustic" amp, weird as that concept is; they are voiced more high-fidelity. I have used the Roland AC 60 for years for outdoor weddings and small spaces, pretty nice, small, and has a mic channel as well as a 1/4". If you're doing a lot of functions and restaurant work, get a speaker stand for it, put it above your head and the sound will carry further without volume problems. Oh, and the Kremona can make any guitar sound quite good, so if you have a "club" guitar or don't want to risk your concert instrument, use the Kremona. After all, once you've amplified, mic or pickup, you're playing electric guitar.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 pm

I have not heard of the above..^^ I would avoid all pickups that go UNDER the saddle. Mics have the best sound but of course will be affected by feedback when 'pushed'. The stick on discs that either glue inside the guitar under the bridge and exit through a jack socket mounted through the guitar sound very good as a 'permanent' setup. If you don't want to damage/ alter the guitar, the stick on discs that are removable (stick with a sort of blue tack) onto the 'top' of the guitar are alright too.
Classical guitar teacher

rwe

Post by rwe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm

The Kremona is NO under saddle PU but an ON saddle PU. http://www.kremonausa.com/en/pickups/ng ... p-kremona/ It's ok, not more, not less. I prefer an external microphone (SE GM 10 - it looks awful, but the sound is very good), but I equipped one of my cheaper CGs with such a PU for "instant use".

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks. I will check it out.

How about guitars with built in mic?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”