Anyone have experience with DPA d:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone with Clip for Guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
jimwilly

Anyone have experience with DPA d:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone with Clip for Guitar

Post by jimwilly » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:26 pm

This microphone is rather pricey, but seems like it would offer a nice alternative to pick ups that require modifying or drilling my beautiful Sascha Nowak (like the LR Baggs Anthem which has a great sound and low likelihood of feedback). Plus transferable to any other classical or acoustic guitar. Does anyone out there have any experience with it? This is specifically for performance, with a Genz Benz Compak 300 which has phantom power output as this mic would require. I most likely would be using this in a low to moderate volume solo or guitar duo situation, possibly playing with a singer as well. Would anyone recommend other clip on mics, or would anyone argue in favor of a specific microphone to use with a stand? Or is there a microphone pick up system that doesn’t require drilling? And/or how much value would my guitar lose from installing a pick up... Any feedback welcome

rojarosguitar

Re: Anyone have experience with DPA d:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone with Clip for Guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:32 pm

I don’t know this mic specifically, but my friend and colleague Muneer B Fenneell, who plays an acoustic 6 string cello uses its sibling for cello and it is the best sounding instrument-attached mic for this purpose I have ever come across. Only I’m not so sure about feedbacks. It’s very in the nature of this kind of mics to be prone to feedbacks. But certainly there is some headroom before feedback.

Yes it’s pricey and also kind of delicate. He already needed some cable repair, but apparently that has been improved, I heard.

He also has an Audix mic that comes quite close to the dpa sound-wise, but is a bit bulkier, and I’m not sure whether there is a mount for the classical guitar. But it’s most certainly more robust than the dpa. It is Audix D-Micro and costs in Germany 239 € which is roughly half of the dpa. In the description it says there are different mounts available.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”