sitting in a corner of the room

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
soltirefa

sitting in a corner of the room

Post by soltirefa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 am

Is it a bad idea to sit in the corner of a room facing out to record classical guitar? I have been getting bad results (nasaly) compared to previous times and that's the only thing I can think of that might be the difference.

riffmeister

Re: sitting in a corner of the room

Post by riffmeister » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:04 am

Possibly......reflections from both walls reaching the mic at different times could cause phasing problems.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 am

I often play towards a corner as the reflections off the walls help me hear the guitar but recording it can cause a lot of issues. Phase issues can be a problem
When recording in small spaces and facing a corner can exacerbate this. If you put a baffle behind the mic it can help.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:59 am

Every room is different, and you may have to spend some time to find the "sweet spot", which involves setting up your gear repeatedly. Even in pro studios, good engineers spend a good hour on mic placement as well as where the best spot in the room might be to set up the performer. If you're hearing an unpleasant sound from your guitar as you play, that may not be an accurate indication of what's happening out front.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Also it’s very helpful to have a friend that can play the guitar to help you with mic placement. Doing it by yourself becomes mostly a matter of trial and error but if you have someone that can play while you focus on moving the mic around, it gets much easier. Since you don’t have a booth that separates the performer from a sound booth, good studio quality closed back (sound isolating) headphones are a must too. Good headphones are one of the best investments you can make in a home studio and often the most overlooked item.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”