Wanting to start looping/layering

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Wanting to start looping/layering

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Hopefully this is open for discussion here.

After jamming with my dad this morning I'm wanting to be able to loop my guitar and or experiment with adding layers.

I don't know the best way to go about accomplishing something like this with a classical guitar.

It would be more simple with an electric, but I like the tone of my classical guitars.

I'm thinking some sort of a pick-up will be necessary?

The highest fidelity is not necessary. I'm not performing or recording. All I really need is some way to assemble ideas..

Let's see what y'all can come up with.

I feel like I should be able to loop with my phone somehow... I definitely should be able to layer music using software on my computer, right? Hmm.

I have this cheap little mic a piezio pickup. I'm gonna figure this out one way or another.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT:Battered Flesh

Workin' on: Sor Op. 60 No. 2

Contreras

Re: Wanting to start looping

Post by Contreras » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Got a good mike?
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: Wanting to start looping

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Contreras wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 pm
Got a good mike?
I sincerely doubt it's "good".

But, it may be good enough until I can get better. I'm looking at it right now.

Whatcha thinkin?

I also just remembered I have this piezio pickup

I'm trying to attach pics.

:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT:Battered Flesh

Workin' on: Sor Op. 60 No. 2

tormodg

Re: Wanting to start looping/layering

Post by tormodg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm

For easy recording at home, check out IK Multimedia's iRig Acoustic. (Just google "irig acoustic classical guitar" and check out the videos).

It's a tiny little clip on pickup.

For looping there are many options. Foot pedals like the Boss RC-1 or more advanced like the RC-30.

You could also buy a bluetooth pedal and hook it up to an ipad or other computer gear and get some looping software (like Loopy for iPad).
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

twang

Post by twang » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm

I've been thinking about getting one of these to practice ensemble pieces. Are there models that would let you put together, say, a quarter piece by recording the first part, looping it while you add the second part, then looping the combined first & seconds parts while adding the third part and so on? Not knowing anything much about these, what model would folks recommend for this?
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:03 pm

twang wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm
I've been thinking about getting one of these to practice ensemble pieces. Are there models that would let you put together, say, a quarter piece by recording the first part, looping it while you add the second part, then looping the combined first & seconds parts while adding the third part and so on? Not knowing anything much about these, what model would folks recommend for this?
Yes. And there are models you can load up with audio files to use as backing tracks. Some even allow you to upload your loops to a computer to save permanently.

If you want to go all out with looping possibilities, the EHX 95000 is phenomenal. Also very expensive.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

DeeKay

Post by DeeKay » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 pm

You could start with a software based solution, first. I heard that Mobius looper is quite powerful and free (haven't tried it myself, though).

twang

Post by twang » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 pm

robin loops wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Yes. And there are models you can load up with audio files to use as backing tracks. Some even allow you to upload your loops to a computer to save permanently.

If you want to go all out with looping possibilities, the EHX 95000 is phenomenal. Also very expensive.
I'd prefer to stay in the $100 - $200 range and get something basic but still capable and functional.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm

twang wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm
I think a multitrack handheld recorder is better for your needs than a looping pedal. I use the Zoom H5, there are other makes out there that can handle overdubbing. See our discussion here https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 4&t=116625
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

twang

Post by twang » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm

sxedio wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm
I think a multitrack handheld recorder is better for your needs than a looping pedal. I use the Zoom H5, there are other makes out there that can handle overdubbing. See our discussion here https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 4&t=116625
I already have a pretty good recording setup. It seem the advantage of the looper would be able to record/overdub while playing. Did you have something else in mind?

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm

twang wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm
I already have a pretty good recording setup. It seem the advantage of the looper would be able to record/overdub while playing. Did you have something else in mind?
Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by ensemble pieces. If you mean playing both parts of a duet, then see the discussion I linked to above, the portables often can go up to 4 track functionality so you can record all parts of a quartet, mute whichever you want to practice and play along to the others.

Loopers are great for looping, a few bars etc. Sure they might be able to do minutes but you'd still require some kind of pickup on the guitar, some kind of amplifier, it seems to be a rather different thing to practicing classical guitar ensemble pieces.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”