Removing squeaks from a rec?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Arash Ahmadi

Removing squeaks from a rec?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi folks, is there a way to get rid of a few squeaks in a recording?

I realize that it really depends where it's happening and what's before or after that. What I'm trying to "remove" here is in a nasty part, so I imagine it needs really professional skills.

Any idea or clue will be appreciated.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Jol

Re: Removing squeaks from a rec?

Post by Jol » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 am

Volume automation or Automated eq for example find the harsh frequency and have an eq turn on and off when it appears. Best option is probably to record it again with out the squeaks

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:37 am

The new Melodyne is remarkable. It can home in on a frequency and adjust it, even tune a wrong note in a chord. But as Joi says volume and eq automation is the straightforward way. The only expertise required is knowing how to dip the volume and how to use 'write' mode to do the eq adjustments. All the rest is a matter of using ones ears.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

I've found that getting into the wave-forms enables one to flatten the peaks one at a time; it's time-consuming but very controllable. I started recording with Lightly Polished D'Addario strings in order to minimize squeak, as recommended by John Williams, and I also found them very useful on my amplified guitars.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:26 pm

You can use a De-Esser in a narrow frequency band but this won't erase it entirely. You will still hear it, but maybe you can get the volume low enough to avoid bothering without destroying the overall sound. Squeaks are "polyphonic" and they're not always the same frequency, so you probably have to de-ess squeak per squeak. I guess it'll take less time to record it again with polished strings :wink:

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”