A preset for CG compression?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Julian Ward

Re: A preset for CG compression?

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am

I think compression has ruined all of our conceptions about how recorded music should sound in general. The actual aim of compression now is solely to maximise the potential volume of a track to make it really loud. What I find far more useful for classical guitar is to just manually go through the track and reduce any nasty spikes and perhaps raise anything that didn't quite come out loud enough but it takes sone careful listening but then you are in control and not the software. As mentioned above, eq should be mimimal.
Classical guitar teacher

Arash Ahmadi

Re: A preset for CG compression?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am

Julian Ward wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am
I think compression has ruined all of our conceptions about how recorded music should sound in general. The actual aim of compression now is solely to maximise the potential volume of a track to make it really loud. What I find far more useful for classical guitar is to just manually go through the track and reduce any nasty spikes and perhaps raise anything that didn't quite come out loud enough but it takes sone careful listening but then you are in control and not the software. As mentioned above, eq should be mimimal.
True!
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”