DPA 4099

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Rebecca Baulch

DPA 4099

Post by Rebecca Baulch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Does anyone use a DPA4099 and are you happy with it?

guit-box

Re: DPA 4099

Post by guit-box » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 am

I use the omni 4061 version. It sounds better than other mics I've used but perhaps the directional 4099 is better for feedback. (I'm told they are the same mic but the 4099 has the mic in a tube that makes it directional)
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Its great for acoustic guitar in general, and a very high sound quality - detailed sound, with depth- . I prefer the sound achieved at the lower bout of the bridge, it was very difficult to attach it there. Anyway due to its hypercardioid angle, it captures only a small amount of sound that the guitar produces, so it is not per se a high end sound. And so its purpose is mainly for stage (..live) use, with a PA. And THEN assuming its only for amplifying a guitar, there are more alternatives, more budget friendly... t-bone Ovid system, or Audio Technica AT350 or if you can live without attachment and need an unobtrusive mic try the AKG CGN99 HS.

All the best....

Rebecca Baulch

Post by Rebecca Baulch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks. I’m wondering how it would compare with for example an internal fishman pick up system which is what I’ve tended to use in the past. I’ve heard it doesn’t feed back easily and various people have recommended it. I’m not averse to spending money on getting a really good set up and I’d particularly like something very unobtrusive (ie that doesn’t need a separate mic stand) and which isn’t permanent installed hence the appeal of the DPA.

Rebecca Baulch

Post by Rebecca Baulch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 am

el_guitarrero wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:25 pm
Its great for acoustic guitar in general, and a very high sound quality - detailed sound, with depth- . I prefer the sound achieved at the lower bout of the bridge, it was very difficult to attach it there. Anyway due to its hypercardioid angle, it captures only a small amount of sound that the guitar produces, so it is not per se a high end sound. And so its purpose is mainly for stage (..live) use, with a PA. And THEN assuming its only for amplifying a guitar, there are more alternatives, more budget friendly... t-bone Ovid system, or Audio Technica AT350 or if you can live without attachment and need an unobtrusive mic try the AKG CGN99 HS.

All the best....
I’d be using it live not for recordings so that’s fine.

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 pm

here is maybe a fuller sounding alternative (fuller, because of the dual mic system that picks up sound at 2 spots instead of 1). Nearly invisible (even more than the gooseneck mount of DPA 4099). Maybe you can try it out somewhere. https://the2mic.com

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 am

a decent alternative that is cheaper and comes with a soundhole mount that's more subtle than that huge DPA apparatus. Audio-Technica AT831b Lavalier Microphone. It doesn't sound as good as the DPA but it's not bad.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”