Blue Yeti or Shure MV88 for iPhone

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
edward_z

Blue Yeti or Shure MV88 for iPhone

Post by edward_z » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 am

I am a beginner level player and occasionally want to record videos. The recording device I have been using is an iPhone X. To improve audio quality, I want to add an external mic. I see many people recommend Shure MV88. The Blue Yeti is also an option, as it can be connected to ios device using an lighting-to-usb cable.

I do not care the portability since I only use it at home

The cost of these two options is about same, around $150

Which one will give better sound quality? I guess it must be Blue yeti. Anyone had experience on these mics?

Thanks,

Christopher Freitag

Re: Blue Yeti or Shure MV88 for iPhone

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm

I’ve got both, but I haven’t used the Blue Yeti with my iPhone. I was planning to make some recordings for upcoming posts on The Chaconne Project this weekend and I will do one side-by-side comparison.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Please update us on your comparison.
Christopher Freitag wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
I’ve got both, but I haven’t used the Blue Yeti with my iPhone. I was planning to make some recordings for upcoming posts on The Chaconne Project this weekend and I will do one side-by-side comparison.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm

It turns out I can't do this comparison after all. The Blue Yeti won't work with the iPhone using the USB-lighting connector that I have...not enough power. I'd need to buy the newer adapter for $40. Since I already have two mics that connect with the iPhone just fine and don't have another use for the adapter I'm going to pass.

Instead, I will do a side by side with using the Shure and the Rode NT-USB, which does work with the iPhone without need for additional power.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Looking forward to the comparison! Please add details about the room and microphone distance to the guitar... thanks

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 am

Just another thought, usb mic is more flexible. It can be connected to an iOS device (via lighting USB adapter cable) or a pc. I probably will get a usb mic.

Rode NT usb is on par with blue yeti based on the reviews found on internet, maybe a little bit better.

Jono Diel
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Have you checked out the MV88+ version? It seemed to me that it is a big update from the original MV88. And it looks amazing.

Though I wish to have an MV88+, I use a budget audio interface instead, and plug it directly to my Android phone. It gives me great results.

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks for your friendly reminder that a new model, mv88+, is already on the market. There is a blog comparing it with mv88:

http://blog.shure.com/mv88-versus-mv88- ... on-the-go/

I will check it’s review on the internet.
Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm
Have you checked out the MV88+ version? It seemed to me that it is a big update from the original MV88. And it looks amazing.

Though I wish to have an MV88+, I use a budget audio interface instead, and plug it directly to my Android phone. It gives me great results.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Here is my comparison of the Rode NT USB and the Shure MV88. Both recordings are in WAV format and no processing or adjustment has been done on the files.

The Shure was connected to an iPhone Xs and the recording was done using the MOTIV app. The Rode was connected to an iPad Pro and the recording was made using the Rode Rec Lite app. Both mics were placed about 18 inches from the guitar at about the 20th fret; the mics were side by side and a single performance was recorded.

The piece is "If You Were Here" by Per-Olov Kindgren. The guitar is a double top by Gary Lee strung with Augustine Regals.

Here are the links to the files:
Shure MV88
Rode NT USB
Chris Freitag

moonshadow

Post by moonshadow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Great comparison. I did like the sound of the shure mic better.
The Røde sounds a bit muddy imo.

Did you ever consider the Apogee MiC? That’s my no1 mic for mobile recordings and video.

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 am

Christopher, thanks for your review. You played really well. What’s your opinion on these two mics? For my non-trained, non-professioanl ears, these two mics are both good enough for a beginning level player like me.

Thanks again!
Christopher Freitag wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm
Here is my comparison of the Rode NT USB and the Shure MV88. Both recordings are in WAV format and no processing or adjustment has been done on the files.

The Shure was connected to an iPhone Xs and the recording was done using the MOTIV app. The Rode was connected to an iPad Pro and the recording was made using the Rode Rec Lite app. Both mics were placed about 18 inches from the guitar at about the 20th fret; the mics were side by side and a single performance was recorded.

The piece is "If You Were Here" by Per-Olov Kindgren. The guitar is a double top by Gary Lee strung with Augustine Regals.

Here are the links to the files:
Shure MV88
Rode NT USB

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 am

Hearing them side by side, in this comparison at least, I prefer the sound of the Shure. Add to that the fact that it is so easy to use paired with an iPhone or iPad, and if that is your primary use I think it's tough to beat. The advantage of the Rode is that you can connect it to more devices. Both sound good, and both improve a lot on the built-in mic of the iPhone.
Chris Freitag

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 am

Nice playing Chris! I prefer the Rode NT USB, it sounds fuller, more balanced IMO. Is it possible to swap the recording devices and do another comparison? Are the sampling rates, # of bits the same?

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 am

Thank you all for your feedback. I purchased a Rode NT USB and very happy with this low cost home recording solution.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”