Acoustic Image Ten2 vs Schertler Unico II

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Weston

Acoustic Image Ten2 vs Schertler Unico II

Post by Weston » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I still find it odd that there is no forum section for "Live Classical Guitar" with how much discussion goes on about it. Oh well, I guess I'll post it in here...

I'm about to take the plunge and buy an amp for gigging and after tons of online/offline research I've narrowed it down to two amps based on my needs.

The Acoustic Image Ten2 and the Schertler Unico II.

Being that I recently purchased the Schertler DYN-G transducer, I want to lean towards the Schertler Unico II since it has an actual channel for the DYN-G specifically....but my hesitations lie in whether or not the amp can produce enough volume in outdoor settings such as wedding ceremonies or outdoor cocktail hours/reception that are wide open.

The Ten2 has A LOT more wattage and also has the option of an extension speaker cabinet that the company itself offers to pair with the amp. I've also heard tons of good feedback about Acoustic Image in terms of their company and warranty-related issues whereas Schertler I've heard that they never respond and deny warranty issues to even dealers of their amps. I can attest to this as I emailed them with questions about their Unico and David amps and never got a response whereas AI responded within two days with an exact answer to my question.

The hard part is that I can't find any shops in the Southern California area that actually stock, in store the Unico II or the Ten2 amps. They only do it special order. So I really have no way of trying either amp before I buy.

So, anyone out there own either amp? Or even better, anyone out there ever had the chance to compare the two? Thanks in advance for your time.

I should also mention that I'm also using a DPA 4099g mic in combination with the DYN-G.

kylekoch

Re: Acoustic Image Ten2 vs Schertler Unico II

Post by kylekoch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:38 am

I just ordered The Ten-two, returned a "Baggs aref" Am using a Schertler Dyn-g alone. Am interested if you purchased the Schertler. Ill let you know how the Ten-2 works. Have 14 days to return no questions asked.
later
Kyle

Rick-in-Annapolis

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Weston wrote:IThe hard part is that I can't find any shops in the Southern California area that actually stock, in store the Unico II or the Ten2 amps. They only do it special order. So I really have no way of trying either amp before I buy.

Can't you call/email the companies and ask who in Southern California has their amps in stock?

Weston

Post by Weston » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:49 pm

I still never found a shop in SoCal that actually stocked the amps, and this is based off of AI's site so apparently shops are dealers but don't usually stock the amps, just special order.

I just received my Ten2 amp yesterday and have been testing it out in my home, getting used to all the settings, etc. Right now there seems to be a tweeter issue where it breaks up/distorts when I strum full chords. I immediately wrote the company and they are sending me a replacement tweeter right away, great customer service so far.

Aside from that issue, the amp does sound extremely transparent and the quality/build is outstanding. The reverb is nice and the overall sound of the amp can be altered quite a bit with the lo cut knob and phase inverse settings(these really help per channel with low frequencies with transducers, mics, etc.).

I haven't tried it outside yet to see how well it does volume-wise for outdoor events but at the moment it doesn't seem like it would be loud enough. Which is maybe why they push the Ten2 EX extension cabinet on their site. Most likely though I would like to just put the money that I'd spend on an extension cab towards a Schertler Unico Deluxe(more wattage) and use it as a backup amp and extension cab at the same time (once they bring that amp version to the states. see Europe Schertler site, link on USA homepage). Email Schertler Europe and tell them you want them to bring the Deluxe amps to the USA like I did, every bit helps!

So Kyle, what do you think of your Ten2 so far? Any issues? Would love to hear what you think of the DYN-G as I'm using one too. At the moment I think it sounds too much like a typical pickup, very blanketed, plucky, banjo-ish and middy, unnatural in tone. I'd love to get a better sound out of it, maybe I'm missing something? So much hype surrounding that pickup but I've tried it all over the top and the bridge is the best spot so far. But, still sounds wah-wah middy like in tone.

My DPA 4099g and Bartlett Guitar Mic sound better through it but when the DYN-G is combined with either of those mics I can get pretty good volume and it levels out the unnatural sound of the DYN-G. Wish I had three channels on the Ten2 so I could run the 2 mics and the DYN-G. (one of the benefits of the Unico with so many channels)

violao8

Post by violao8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any guidance on the following. I've been researching acoustic amps and have narrowed my search down to Acoustic Image, not sure which model yet and Schertler Unico, based only on the reading I've been doing. I've not had the opportunity to play these amps, which is a problem given the cost and can't seem to find many reviews from nylon string players who play jazz and specifically address classical guitar sound challenges. I play traditional classical guitars,fingerstyle jazz standards, bossa nova and choro. I generally play solo gigs in cafes and restaurants. I've been playing through an early model AER Acoustic Cube. It serves me well on lower volume gigs , but its a little boxy sounding in the bass and mids. Also, it does not allow enough EQ when the environment changes with more people and noise. I use K&K Pure classic pickups and I love the sound I get most of the time. I realize there is rarely one solution for all situations but if I can narrow the inherent trade off's down to a few that would be great. When I play my Martin steel string for delta blues stuff I've been using my Schertler DYN and it sounds great through both the AER and my Fishman Loudbox, but it sounds terrible on my classical. I also use my arch top occasionally but I'll just bring my old deluxe reverb for those gigs. I know its asking a lot to think I might find an amp that could handle three different guitars and styles on one gig well but that said, my preference would be to dial in the nylon string sound more authentically. Any input would be so appreciated. Thanks

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi violao8. Welcome to the forum. While you wait for expert responses, please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Bose Compact. You will probably need some kind of multi-effects processor such as the Zoom A3, bu the Compact will fill a large space with very clean, hi-fidelity sound without being too loud when near it. Has mic input and 1/4" input, each on separate channel, as well as RCA and mini stereo inputs. Also has a 1/4" output jack for taking into house PA. Light and easy to run. I've done many hundreds of gigs, indoors and out, with my Compact, always a pleasure to use and hear.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”