Hi from DeWitt, Michigan

Alan Burns
Student of the online lessons

Hi from DeWitt, Michigan

Post by Alan Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:54 am

Hello, my name is Alan and this is my first post. I do not have a sense of rhythm nor are able to easily differentiate pitches but I have been in love with the classical guitar since I was around 10 years old. My first serious attempt at learning classical guitar did not come until I was in my mid-thirties when I taught myself how to read music notation, took a couple of classical guitar courses at a community college and proceeded to take private lessons for a couple years. According to my teacher, I had made good progress and "my guitar sounded good". It took a lot of hard work but I was very happy with my progress. Then suddenly, I had emergency brain surgery that lead to the permanent partial lose of my vision and temporary impaired motor skills. Very soon, I found out that I could not read music. I set aside the guitar for over 20 years (I am now 57). Recently the desire to re-learn the classical guitar has taken over me again and I am ready to start again. My goal is to develop the skill set to learn to play Chaconne (fr. Bach's Violin Partita No 2). I think it will take me the rest of my life to reach that goal. I am hopeful this forum will help me out in the process.

Best Regards!

oski79

Re: Hi from DeWitt, Michigan

Post by oski79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum. Like I mention to all my students and teachers - memorize everything that way notion is just used as a reference and not a source.

good luck
scott

Alan Burns
Student of the online lessons

Post by Alan Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Thank you for the advise.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Welcome Alan
Thank you for sharing your very interesting journey.
I am a Michigander along M-59, not too far from you if you are just outside of Lansing.
I envy your proximity to Elderly Instruments on the north end of our state's Capitol.

Bach is a worthy challenge for sure. Do take advantage of a lot of the wonderful guitar music between where you are now and your ultimate destination. These useful, conditioning building blocks will help to prevent the disillusionment and discouragement that very often turn so many of us into folks who "used to play guitar." All the best!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Welcome Alan. Your story started out similar to mine (and many others) right up until the injury part. My setback was entirely through abandonment. I’m sure you are well aware of the benefits studying music has to brain plasticity and building motor function. It’s fascinating.

You have a lofty goal: the Chaconne! Mine is more about putting in the hours to reach a level of mastery. You might have interest and could contribute a lot to my thread on making it to 10,000 hours: https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 4&t=112357
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Introduce yourself”