First timer!

eschutz

First timer!

Post by eschutz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Greetings from Fletcher, NC, a little town half-way between Asheville and Hendersonville, NC. My name is Eric Schutz. I've played classical guitar off and on for about 35-years. I started pretty late (age 35), was mostly self-taught, and had other much higher priorities for most of that time (college prof' with a couple of kids!). So while I've taken formal lessons and some music courses since retiring a couple years ago, I'm kind of "advanced" level but really not at all an advanced player.

I play intermediate level classical pieces at best, e.g., Bach preludes, and a hodge-podge variety of stuff picked up here and there that I haven't found too intimidating to bother with learning -- I'm a very slow reader, so memorization is critical, and it's getting harder as I get older! My repertoire consists of odds & ends of classical, ragtime, blues, pop, jazz, and Irish/Celtic. From Joplin's "Solace" to a not-so-hard version of "Georgia" to Brouwer's "Un Dia de Noviembre" to Satie's "Gymnopaedie #1", etc, etc.

I have done some busking with a buddy recently here in Asheville, NC, which must be buskers' heaven, I'd reckon. My busking buddy's an outstanding musician, I have no idea why he's willing to stoop to my level, but I'm sure grateful he's willing (it's like free lessons!). Busking is the extent of my playing for "an audience", which, if you've ever tried busking, you know it's not really an audience, as mostly people just basically walk by without paying much visible notice. I.e., I never played for a real audience at all except in my music classes just before retirement, and there I discovered I have a serious stage fright thing! Ugh! Well, I'll see how I do, one of these days, before an open mic' somewhere.

So what do I "do" with my playing -- I mean besides practicing & playing at home, grossing out the family with repetition and error-ridden scratching on old strings? I do teach basic and intermediate lessons, both voluntary and paid, though the latter is a bit sparse right now. The competition around here is horrendous!

Through the years, I've been through a couple dozen guitars, all of them in the higher-quality mass-market range (i.e., mass-produced but solid wood), trying to find "just the right one". Currently I play a Kenny Hill New World Players Series Fingerstyle and a Cordoba GK Studio Negra. I'll probably settle on these two for a good while, they're great guitars in this price bracket & for my purposes. Narrower finger-boards (especially the Hill), smaller body (the Cordoba), easy playing both of them, easy on the older human body such as my own. And most important of all: sweet tone in my price bracket.

Well, that's about it, introduction-wise. I'm here because I have a bunch of questions that I suspect people here may have answers to, probably enough such questions to keep me around on this site for a good while. I'll get to my first one in my next submission.

Cheers - Eric Schutz

Erik Zurcher

Re: First timer!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello Eric and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks, Erik. Will do. Cheers.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Nice intro, welcome aboard
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Welcome!!
I've been intrigued by the Kenny Hill Players with a Cutaway for a while, but haven't been able to get one under my fingers to try.

I'd very interested to hear your comparison between the Kenny Hill player and the Cordoba GK.

I've owned my GK Pro Negra for 2+ years. My only complaint is that it has a little bit too much Flamenco sound to it.

My play is across a number of musical genre's, so I'm not looking for a true classical sound from my guitar.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Welcome! Where you’re located caught my eye. You’re where the Flat Rock Playhouse and Carl Sandburg’s home is located. Lovely area!
I’m sure you’re familiar with Dream Guitars in Weaverville. Are you also familiar with the Appalachian State University Guitar Festival? A great experience!
Enjoy your exploration of Delcamp and welcome aboard!
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Well, Dave (sorry for taking so long, I just saw your reply here), as for the Kenny Hill Player vs the GK Studio, the Player is a really deep, sweet, strong sounding classical-type instrument, for starters, while the GK is quite a bit quieter. I sometimes feel way out of my league and like I have no business with such a guitar as the Player, it has such a wonderfully gorgeous tone (especially when I'm hitting it right, of course!). It's also very, very easy to play, with that narrow fingerboard, for my old hands. The GK Studio Negra is a really great deal of a guitar, esp in its price range. It's tone is not as brash as the GK Studio's, and I've played it as a classical guitar consistently for the past several years - when played with attention to your tone, it's so darn close to classical that audiences don't care for sure. The Studio Negra has a very bright, balanced tone and sounds great on flamenco of course, as well as ragtime, pop chord melodies, etc. It too is easy to play. I would assume the GK Pro Negra would be more of the same but maybe with more projection/volume and "richness"? It I had to part with one of these (ugh!), I believe I'd keep the GK Studio Negra as it's the better for all-around playing -- or else I'd sell them both and get a GK Pro.

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Jack, Dream Guitars is about the only guitar store I haven't been to around here yet in our two-and-a-half years here. I'll get there soon, I'm sure. We have been to Sandburg's place, very cool! Went to a free concert there last year. Haven't been to the Appalachian State U. Festival yet, I'll check it out. Thanks for the welcome!

Return to “Introduce yourself”