Playing Bach's Cello Suites on 7 or 8 string gtr in original keys.

Conall

Playing Bach's Cello Suites on 7 or 8 string gtr in original keys.

Post by Conall » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:46 am

Hi Everyone,

Season's Greetings.

I'm a guitarist & teacher from Aberdeen, Scotland.

I'm presently considering buying or trying out a multi-string classical guitar: anything from 7-11 strings. I have an old baroque lute (for sale if anyone wants to make an offer) which I found too much of a change (v wide right hand span & not great for long RH nails).

I'm initially leaning towards a budget 8 string having been impressed by Drew Henderson's videos. I enjoy Bach, Weiss, Dowland etc.

Interestingly, after having bought Slava Grigorian's Bach cello suites on baritone guitar CD I experimented with playing the suites on a normal guitar tuned to low C, G, D,G,B,E & my conclusion is they almost work i.e. I read the original scores (in bass clef) with this tuning, they mostly sound close to Slava's but of course the low C is just a bit too loose / weak.

So I figure a 7 or 8 string would work well if the lowest string was C. I'm thinking an 8 string tuned to C, D, E, G, D, G, B, E?

Any thoughts - bearing in mind I've a tight budget & initially just experimenting?!

Thanks,

Conall

George Crocket

Re: Playing Bach's Cello Suites on 7 or 8 string gtr in original keys.

Post by George Crocket » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Conall. Welcome to the forum. If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Since you have already posted two messages you can access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

We have an area of the forum on Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar and you may find posting a message there helpful. Please be aware that we try to maintain the forum free from commercial activities, and as part of that we have strict rules covering all aspects of the sale of instruments. You can see these in red here.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Conall

Re: Playing Bach's Cello Suites on 7 or 8 string gtr in original keys.

Post by Conall » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks George!

Return to “Introduce yourself”