Hello from real Upstate NY

IamTim

Hello from real Upstate NY

Post by IamTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Name is actually Tim

I played guitar for about 20 years, started like most kids in my high-school days with electric, played a lot of Rock n Roll and Heavy Metal. And was even in a garage band that absolutely no one has ever heard of. Sometime during my early 20s I came across a 2nd hand Takamine classical guitar hanging in this music store that was literally hidden in the Adirondacks for $150, so I bought it and started learning classical guitar and the other guitars started collecting dust. I was never that good at Classical and some time after buying the classical I also got an acoustic steel string (6) guitar and I played both. I played the classical for about 5 years and the acoustic probably another 3 after that and then one day it just stopped, don't know why, but it stopped.

Between then and now I have picked up a Mandolin, played it for a bit and then stopped, got a Ukulele and played that for a bit and that stopped and got a Didgeridoo and played that for a bit and that, so far (about 10 years) has stuck. But this Christmas, for some reason I picked up the classical again, I am really REALLY bad at it, basically, to quote BB KIng, My fingers is stupid.

Still have the Takamine and I wanted to know its history, even contacted Takamine and they have no record of it because it was made in Japan in the very early 60s and they apparently lost the records after they moved to the US. All they could tell me was the year it was roughly made. Would love to know more about it, but even the manufacturer can't give me much info.

Going to look around the site, se if inspires me to keep going and, at least for the moment, enjoy working with the classical again.

lagartija

Re: Hello from real Upstate NY

Post by lagartija » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Hello Tim, welcome to Delcamp! If you have not yet found it, please have a look at our welcome page, and this post by Jean-François Delcamp, our host, which explains his thoughts on the purpose of this site.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this, click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information. This helps other members know in what time zone you live. :D

Have fun! and welcome to Delcamp forum! :bye:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

IamTim

Post by IamTim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank You, I did read through those

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Tim
Welcome aboard. "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
Words of wisdom from an octogenarian friend of mine who encouraged my continued CG study. If you are too obsessed with perfection, you'll quit far too soon. Give yourself permission to try anything and to make lots of mistakes as you learn lots of new stuff. Enjoy!

daverkb

Post by daverkb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:37 am

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Delcamp!

And by the way, real Upstate caught my eye. That could be the Lake Champlain region, or even Plattsburgh. And I suppose that standing on top of Mt. Marcy would probably do it too. Myself, I am from Gloversville north of the Mohawk River, but I am now living in Roanoke, Virginia. I pick up the classical guitar when I was 61 and 6 years later, I'm having place.

Nice to see you here.

Dave

IamTim

Post by IamTim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 pm
Tim
Welcome aboard. "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
Words of wisdom from an octogenarian friend of mine who encouraged my continued CG study. If you are too obsessed with perfection, you'll quit far too soon. Give yourself permission to try anything and to make lots of mistakes as you learn lots of new stuff. Enjoy!
Well then I'm all set, because I am certainly doing it badly :)

IamTim

Post by IamTim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 pm

daverkb wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:37 am
Hi Tim,

Welcome to Delcamp!

And by the way, real Upstate caught my eye. That could be the Lake Champlain region, or even Plattsburgh. And I suppose that standing on top of Mt. Marcy would probably do it too. Myself, I am from Gloversville north of the Mohawk River, but I am now living in Roanoke, Virginia. I pick up the classical guitar when I was 61 and 6 years later, I'm having place.

Nice to see you here.

Dave
I use to live in Amsterdam, right next to Gloversville. I am now in Saratoga County. I just get tired of folk telling me they are from upstate and they are talking West Chester County. Apparently nothing exist in NYS to far out of NYC :D

MAK

Post by MAK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 am

Tim,
I agree with you about Upstate NY. I'm from Utica and have lived in Schenectady, Rochester, and Rome,including a couple of towns outside the cities. I went to college in Plattsburgh. That's Upstate! Welcome!
Michele

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

I went to Syracuse University...that is Upstate for sure! :-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

daverkb

Post by daverkb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm a bit late on this thread in replying, but I might mention that I was born and raised in Gloversville. My folks once had a leather mill near Amsterdam in a place called Hageman, a very small village. I sympathize with your 'Upstate' sentiments regarding New York City people. From New York City, according to NYC people, everything is 'Upstate' including the North Pole, Antarctica, Australia, and Africa and South America. Okay! I exaggerate some, but I fear not by much.

Enjoy the guitar.

Dave

Return to “Introduce yourself”