Greetings Again? From U.S.A. State of Maryland

Marlene Finch
Student of the online lessons

Greetings Again? From U.S.A. State of Maryland

Post by Marlene Finch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Please excuse the possible "double posting"

I introduced myself a few minutes ago, then, couldn't find my post. So, if you seen me before, my apologies.

OK, in short, I ignored the naysayers and bought an inexpensive 7/8's guitar. I know, I know, I would have figured out how to use the standard size in time :D But, since I'm not likely to play for anyone else except my dog, I figured, I'll learn to play the standard size in my next life.

I'm a new very, very, inexperienced player/learner. I'm really having a good time with the learning.
I'm here for the virtual companionship and to learn more. :lol:

A very BIG Thank You to all who make this forum possible. :merci:

Cheers!
Marlene

oski79

Re: Greetings Again? From U.S.A. State of Maryland

Post by oski79 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Marlene;

The reason you didn't see your first post is that new members need to be approved by a moderator before posts are visible. I've removed your original post now.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Welcome to you, Marlene
and to your very lucky dog! Not many canines have an exclusive court musician.
I have had many canine companions through the years. Your intro brought back fond memories of Moose. Whenever I started to play guitar, he would grab a squeaky toy and join me in a duet. I have tapes, and they are hilarious.

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Greetings Oksi79 and Cathy:)

Yep, you are certainly correct, I read the notice that a moderator would have to approve before it was posted, right after I posted the second intro. I'm working hard to avoid skimming info, which I have a tendency to do when reading online.
Again, my apologies.
Yes, I did read through the rules, quite good ones I thought. I like the respectful, no politics, no religion point. I will honor it, and find a more suitable place for whining. :lol:

Cathy, thank you for your friendly "hello."

OK, I'm off to browse the forums, any suggestions for a good place to begin?

Cheers! :D
Marlene

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Marlene,
Welcome! Enjoy your time on Delcamp. I hope you learn a lot and perhaps move up to an 8/8 Guitar!!
Are you aware of some of the venues available in Maryland for listening to classical guitar performances.
I live in Virginia and drive to DC or Maryland for various visiting players. And good crabmeat!
Have fun!
Jack
Hauser III 2014 spruce

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Greetings Jack,
Good thinking:)
I must confess that I don't know places to listen to classical guitar performances.
First, I'm going to try to move beyond the kindergarten stage, then I'll listen to performers who have mastered the art or are on their way to mastering the guitar.

Cheers!
Marlene

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Marlene5 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

OK, in short, I ignored the naysayers and bought an inexpensive 7/8's guitar …
Absolutely no reason why not to use a 7/8 guitar. The "standard" 650 scale is really only a standard because it suits large scale production. Go back 100 years and look at what was on offer then. A lot of guitars were smaller. Parlour guitars.

Rather than "progressing" to "full size" guitar in due course, you could also consider getting a nicer 7/8 guitar made for you.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 am

Hi...I am in Bethesda, MD...whereabouts are you?
2017 Glen Canin Spruce
2017 Antonius Mueller Cedar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Marlene5 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 pm
Greetings Jack,
Good thinking:)
I must confess that I don't know places to listen to classical guitar performances.
First, I'm going to try to move beyond the kindergarten stage, then I'll listen to performers who have mastered the art or are on their way to mastering the guitar.

Cheers!
Marlene
Hi Marlene,
Look for Marlow Guitar Festival in Bethesda or Baltimore Guitar Society in Baltimore and Matt Palmer at Washington College, Chestertown, MD, the Middle Peninsula on the Eastern Shore. He has a weekend Festival every year and brings in some great musicians. Matt is himself a wonderful teacher and performer.
And I agree with the person who commented about full size guitar vs smaller. After playing a 650 scale guitar for years, I discovered and acquired a shorter scale instrument and my left hand has been much happier.
If you’ll add your location to your listing there are likely Delcamp members that know where you can go to try out a variety of guitars!
All the best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014 spruce

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Greetings Again:)
Clearly I could also use a lesson on how to respond to individual posts:)
Thanks for the info and the encouragement on my guitar size choice Jack and Sinonm.
Charles, I live in Silver Spring.

As I was browsing the forums, I noticed that the guitar lessons have already begun. Can I use the archives or should I wait until September, 2018?
What say you:)
Cheers!
Marlene

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi Marlene,
You can start the current lessons anytime and try to catch up. Your fellow students in D01 May or may not comment on your posts since they’ve moved on but generally someone chimes in. As you know, you need to submit 7 out of 10 lesson videos to qualify for the final exam, if that’s important to you. But this is a bit mis leading because the final exam comes out in May about the same time as lesson 9. So you have to finish 7 out of, like, 8 to qualify.

I hope you have a good time and stick with the lessons.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Introduce yourself”