Introduction

Movitz

Introduction

Post by Movitz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 am

Hello!

Glad to be here!

My name is Martin. I live in Sweden, was born in 1958 and have been playing the guitar since I was thirteen or fourteen. At first I learnt to play chords to simple mostly folk-style tunes. Sometime in the seventies the popularity of classical guitar music was increasing, and soon I was listening to classical players like Diego Blanco, Narciso Yepes, John Williams, Julian Bream, Christoffer Parkening and - of course - Göran Söllscher.
For several years I tried to study and practice for myself, so as a classical guitarist I’m mainly self-taught, although there were later periods when I got to take private lessons. I have never become a great guitar player, but good enough that in my early twenties I made a living from giving classes to beginner guitar players.

Of course there have been periods of my life when haven’t been playing. Studies, work, children, other interests have taken over. I also played (and still play) some rock&roll. But it seems I always come back to classical…

Now, at my recent come back to the classical guitar, I focus on playing (and singing) music by the Swedish 18th century poet and composer Carl Michael Bellman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Michael_Bellman. Although composing some, Bellman to a great extent used and adapted earlier music, for instance by Johan Helmich Roman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Helmich_Roman. Original scores available in facsimile are for the piano, but there are excellent guitar transcriptions to find. (My nick of choice is the name of one of the most frequent characters in the songs and "epistles" of Bellman.)

Instruments: My first guitar was a cheap Egmond, basically a plywood box, handed down to me from my older sister. Soon I was looking for a more satisfying instrument. The most common brand in Sweden at that time was Levin, but I wanted to be different and settled for a Bjärton, the underdog competitor. (They were exported under the brand Hagström). It was a decent build with a solid spruce top, and of course much easier playing than the Egmond, but to be true the tone was quite dull (and I also remember the guitar having a strange smell).

It wasn’t long before I traded the Bjärton for a second hand Ibanez Andorra. That was my first decent classical guitar, but it wasn’t long, though before the Ibanez had to go for an Aria AC-8 that I kept for a few years before settling for another Aria guitar, a handcrafted Aria Maestro 80 with a spruce top. I bought it new in 1979, still keep it, and only death may part the two of us. It was what I could afford at that time. Maybe not a top notch guitar, but very nice playing with a well-balanced voice. I see no reason to climb the ladder any higher, and since I have had it for now almost forty years it’s become family. Although the brand Aria is well known with good reputation, I can’t find much information about this particular model and it doesn’t have a serial number to go by, so if any of you out there have information on the model I’d be grateful.

That was a little about me...

Movitz/Martin
Last edited by Movitz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Introduction

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

Hello Martin and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Welcome, Martin.
I truly enjoyed reading your beautifully written introduction.
All the best on your musical journey!

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Welcome, Martin.
I aown an Aria Maestro MH-100 that is a hand-crafted reproduction of a Hauser. I love this guitar.
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria Maestro MH100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

Teatimerob

Post by Teatimerob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am

Welcome, Martin
I too am a new member and liked your introducion.
:bravo:

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm

KlaBueBaer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Welcome, Martin.
I aown an Aria Maestro MH-100 that is a hand-crafted reproduction of a Hauser. I love this guitar.
Thats interesting! I have tried to find out more about the Aria Maestro. Not least because I have never stumbled over another one! From somewhere I got the idea that Sakurai should have something to do with it. And by the time I bought it I had earlier tried a Sakurai that - exept for the price tag - really pleased me, and I also thought it quite similar to the Maestro. So for some time I let my self relish in the thought that it is actually sort of a Sakurai in disguise :lol: A recent trustworthy contact told me that Sakurai certainly did some for Aria, but from photos I sent he couldn't see anything that specifically spoke for his involvement in this particular model. :? I have indeed seen that there is also an Aria Maestro 100 and I have wondered what the difference to my 80 would be. At the time I bought mine I was told that AM 80 was the top model. When, far later, I saw that there is also a 100, I thought that may be it wasn't (not that it really matters). But from what you inform me the difference may be that the model 100 is a Hauser-reproduction rather than exactly a step up the ladder?

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:15 am

Hello Movitz,
thx for you respond. It could be that this are different product lines. The label on my guitar stated "Aria Maestro, Model: MH100, build: 1980" The "M" stands for "R.Matsuoka" and the "H" for "Hauser", afaik. Matsuoka was the luthier who manufactured this at this time guitars for aria in japan. the guitar is made of brasilian rosewood (back and sides) and (german?)spruce (AAA++).
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria Maestro MH100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

Return to “Introduce yourself”