Greetings from Northeast Arkansas!

rburns

Greetings from Northeast Arkansas!

Post by rburns » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 pm

I've been away for some time and just recently re-registered so that I may continue pursuing my studies in classical guitar and gain more knowledge and advice from those of you who participate regularly in this excellent forum.

My background includes a few lessons I took with Professor Tim Crist, who is a colleague of mine here at Arkansas State University where I've been teaching folklore and cultural anthropology since 1993. My guitar playing began years before arriving here, having taught myself from the Aaron Shearer books, which I still use, as well as a couple of Parkening books.

Since starting a family and since my wife plays violin and viola and my two kids (now out of college and gone) learned violin, I decided to take cello lessons so that we could play as a quartet, but since Robert has moved to Memphis and Ellen lives in LA, it's just my wife and me, although I do continue with my cello lessons. This is also somewhat inspired by my background in ethnomusicology when I earned my doctorate in folklore at UT Austin. Even then, my musical tastes were changing as my wife got me interested in mariachi music when we met each other in UT's Folklore Program.

That said, my background in classical guitar continues to motivate me to pick up a Ramirez 1a I've held onto as well as my Guild Mark V, which is very difficult to put down. Currently, I'm playing a Darren Hippner specially made guitar based on the Bouchet model he built for me in 2010.

Among my other guitars are a recently acquired Gibson shirt, an older Martin d-35, a Gibson LG-1 (for playing some Delta blues), an One open-back banjo, a mandolin, and a few other guitars. Left with choices of which ones to keep, I'd sell the steel strings, including a Les Paul, a strat, and a tele, as well as Gibson 12-string acoustic. I only mention these since I'm downsizing while at the same time struggling a bit with rheumatoid arthrits (left fingers only). Methotrexate has brought that under control, thank God, so I still have years of playing left.

The saying that "a man can't have too many guitars" is really not true, especially if you have a spouse like mine who would love to see me thin my herd. Still, I really hate to sell a guitar.

At any rate, at 66, I'm back and ready to return to playing my classical guitar(s). Currently, I'm trying to learn Courrin's "Mysterious Barricades."

Cheers!
Rick Burns

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Northeast Arkansas!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello Rick and welcome back to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

rburns

Re: Greetings from Northeast Arkansas!

Post by rburns » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 am

Thank you you for your kind words of advice and directions regarding the necessary steps to access levels 1-3 of the Decamp score collection.

Please note that today I did indeed re-introduce myself to the decamp forum in the process of re-activating my account. After I have posted the required number of messages before subscribing to the 020 group and when I select the relevant group on the Users Group page, I will be in contact. I also updated my profile to identify my name hometown, state. etc.

In the meantime, I will rely on some of the older pieces that I learned from the Shearer book, practice them, and then I will record and post accordingly.

Thanks again, Erik.

Best regards,
Rick Burns

Return to “Introduce yourself”