Good day, eh from Manitoba!

Hiebster

Good day, eh from Manitoba!

Post by Hiebster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 am

Hi all! I'm Ken and I've been playing guitar for about 38 years and I've absolutely loved it for at least 37 of those years. I've got a great wife and two young kids who also love music.
My first teacher was Chet Breau, son of the great Lenny Breau just north of Winnipeg back when I was just 11 or so. Being left-handed, I walked into my first lesson and picked up a guitar the upside down way, and Chet said, "Boy, if you don't know how to play that thing yet, I'm gonna show you the RIGHT way to do it." And I'm so glad he did because being a teacher now, I can see how much that simplified everything for me. Sadly, we moved away shortly thereafter and I had to find a different teacher.
I was fortunate enough to find the only guitar instructor in the area who was also classically trained in the Royal Conservatory and so my parents signed me up. I took lessons for less than two years and then I got an electric guitar and decided to rock out for awhile, but the absolute best thing I learned was how to use my right hand.
A little while later I heard Bruce Cockburn's guitar playing and then Chet Atkins and that really turned me on to "fingerstyle" playing. I think my main influences right now (as far as guitar playing goes) would be those two guys and Mark Knopfler.
I've been teaching for the last 10 or 12 years and every year I do it a bit differently because I guess I'm still looking for the "best" way to do it. ☺ I now try to focus almost exclusively on the fingerstyle technique and although I'm not a classical player, I borrow most (if not all) of my technique from the classical school and attempt to convey that to my students.
I must confess that my main reason for being here is to help me become a better teacher. This looks like a great forum so if anyone has managed to read this all the way to the end, then I commend you on your stamina!

Cheers,
Ken Hiebert

Erik Zurcher

Re: Good day, eh from Manitoba!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:24 am

Hello Ken and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Welcome Ken.

Kp in Winnipeg

nuclearfishin

Post by nuclearfishin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Welcome! I tried converting my classical skills to fingerstyle picking for awhile, also a big Chet fan, but after seeing Doyle Dykes play in person a few times, it made me want to quit for good. Lol. Not really, but you know how those guys can make you feel. Hahhaha

Return to “Introduce yourself”