Post by romsek » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 pm

I'm an older guy, retired engineer, who's been noodling around w/guitar most of my life and have decided to start from scratch formally learning classical guitar and sight reading.

I've played for around 35 yrs but almost all self taught. I've got a pretty good understanding of basic theory and at least know how to sight read. I just can't do it very fast or well. I'm a closet guitarist, at this point, just about all the bands I've played in have ultimately targeted music I didn't really enjoy playing, pop, country and the like. I can't say I really enjoy performing all that much either, to me at this point music is more of an exercise in learning and I just enjoy music more when I'm playing it rather than passively listening to it. Even when I'm butchering it. :D

I'm mostly self taught and have started pursuing the basics of classical guitar also self taught using Carcassi's book and various videos. I know I should get a teacher to at least get my posture and position correct sooner rather than later. I'm working on finding a teacher I'll be able to work with. History has shown I'm not a very good student.

For the purposes of this forum I'm interested in classical guitar. I expect the next few years will be taken up with learning a pretty standard vocabulary of pieces that all students learn. I'm currently working on going through the very beginning of Carcassi's method. What led me there started with a book on pieces for learning improving picking accuracy. I enjoyed those pieces and when seeing them performed on youtube observed that everyone played them with their right hand, not a pick. That led me to try and learn the first couple I had been working on, Carcassi Op. 60 #16, and #7, with my fingers. That went ok actually but did convince me that I needed to start at the beginning.

And here I am.

Basically I'm hoping to be able to use this forum to

a) get simple questions on technique answered so I don't have to try all the wrong things

b) get recommendations of practice pieces

c) learning various misc info about guitars, strings, ...

d) participate in whatever camaraderie and bonhomie exists here ;)

So anyway, sorry for the novel... Hi.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Intro

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Hello Romsek and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”