New member - need some advice on $2000 classic guitar

mrc42pd

New member - need some advice on $2000 classic guitar

Post by mrc42pd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 am

Hello everyone, this is my introduction e-mail. I start playing guitars when I was relatively young. Then I stop for a period of several years. Five years ago I decided to go back playing, bought a Martin acoustic guitar and truly enjoyed going back playing, with tons of resources now available on-line. I've enjoy playing finger picking style. I decided now to buy a classic guitar and I've started taking some lessons. I am buying a new classic guitar, which I find to be such an exciting and difficult decision! I have a max $2,000 budget. I'm considering the following guitars: Kremona Solea Classical Guitar or Cordoba Solista CD/IN. I played the Kremona Solea which I really like! Although the model I played had some quality defects which did not seem to impact the sound but were noticeable, enough to give me general concerns on the overall quality of the product built. I am going to have the opportunity soon to play with the Cordoba Solista CD/IN soon. The guitar dealer told me between the two guitars with comparable price of $1,750 the Kremona will be a higher value because built in Bulgaria with lower labor costs compare to Spain for the Cordoba, hence more value per the same price. I am not sure how to judge this comment, although I understand the logic. I need some help form classic guitar lovers that have more experience than I have and understand how difficult is to make this choice: any opinions on those two guitars models? Any suggestion of different models i should consider and try in the max $2,000 guitar range? I plan to buy new.

Thank you all!

oski79

Re: New member - need some advice on $2000 classic guitar

Post by oski79 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Don’t be stuck on “new”. You can cut a lot of pre-owned guitar for $2000, MUCH better, and luthier hand made at that price.
There are listings here, and many private dealers have instruments in that price range,
Ron

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

I have a new guitar custom built for me. It cost a couple of thousand. I have a used guitar that I paid $100.00. I play and like the cheap one better.

Get a 52mm nut width and 650mm scale, whatever you buy.

Take a look at the Guitars for Sale section.
viewforum.php?f=3
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 am

For 2 grand you can get a lot of guitar, especially if buying used. There are other choices than Kremona and Cordoba. If you aren't able to try before you buy, order a Yamaha GC series, as they are quite consistent.Cordoba is hit and miss as far as defects are concerned. Welcome.

mrc42pd

Post by mrc42pd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 am

thank you all, I'll go through the suggested options and will let you know my choice.

alex

Post by alex » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Hello friend,
This is a link to Kremona http://www.kremonausa.com/
Good luck in finding your guitar.
Alex
1968 Herbert Schaffner Meifter

mrc42pd

Post by mrc42pd » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:18 pm

With appreciation for your inputs, I thought to share my final decision on this topic. There were several guitars which I would have loved to try. At the end, I was able to play and compare for a few weeks the Cordoba Solista CD/IN and the Kremona Solea. I decided to buy the Kremona Solea for less then $1,500. I am really enjoying it, which seems to play better across the broader range and with a deeper sound which I prefer, together with a neck which fit best for me. FYI

Return to “Introduce yourself”