Greetings from Canada!

steampick

Greetings from Canada!

Post by steampick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello all:

I'm a high school teacher in Canada who has managed to have only guitar classes for my next semester. I've mostly been a rock musician (bass player) for the first part of my life, then after switching into teaching (degree in English), moved over to classical guitar because that's what the school purchased.

Anyway, right now I'm gearing up for another semester and was looking around for resources (half a teacher's life is spent doing this), and stumbled upon this sight. The little videos of practice exercises are great.

I'm not a very advanced classical player at all, but I'm not much concerned about that (just need to be one step ahead of the students).

D'Arcy

simonm

Re: Greetings from Canada!

Post by simonm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Hello D'Arcy,

Welcome to the forum.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".

Regards,

Simon

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 am

As a fellow Canadian I too welcome you to this site.
I encourage you to take to free courses, perhaps even stating at level one. You may be able to fly through them, but given your background in what is really a different instrument I would lay odds that each lesson will offer its own challenges.
My encouragement...try to be several steps ahead of your students. When you can play asturias flawlessly just think of the interest you will have spiked in your class. :guitare:
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

steampick

Post by steampick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks Jules. I should say that it's been a good 20 years since I played bass regularly and have been playing and teaching guitar for about 10 years. I have managed to plow my way through the RCM books up to Gr.5, and am presently working on some Lute suites by Bach whose score I got from this site (it's how I found it). But yeah, your advice still holds: you just have to be a step ahead of the students, though some of them do bring in some fairly impressive rock guitar skills, which do come in handy as I try to teach more than just classical guitar.

D'Arcy

filmic

Post by filmic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:38 am

Hello D'Arcy,

I'm from Montreal and have returned to learning my classical guitar and found this great thread. I just joined the thread today.

steampick

Post by steampick » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome, filmic. Seems like a great site that gets even greater once you hit 20 posts.

fretter

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am

steampick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Anyway, right now I'm gearing up for another semester and was looking around for resources (half a teacher's life is spent doing this), and stumbled upon this sight.
Welcome from the U.S., neighbor. You must have a great deal of patience. Regarding your quote, allow me to amend, "..spent doing this without extra pay." Teachers are underappreciated and usually underpaid. Thanks for spreading music.

steampick

Post by steampick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks neighbour. When I'm not actively looking for resources, I'm worrying about a lack thereof. I do this worrying free of charge as well.

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Another fellow Canadian (and teacher!) here to welcome you to the site! I spent 4 years in Sudbury studying music at Cambrian and then Laurentian. I still have quite a few good friends there--met my wife in Sudbury too. I miss the Big Nickel...

Return to “Introduce yourself”