Hello from the woods of Missouri.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Hello from the woods of Missouri.

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 pm

:bye:

I've been playing for a few years. Self-taught, hoping to get something out of the lessons here. I mostly need help with developing my reading and with selecting appropriate songs and exercises to learn at my skill level.

I could also use some advice on decent entry level guitars. I am currently using a old cheap Kay which feels like it is holding me back quite a bit. I'd like to know how much money I need to save up and where to start looking for a good classical.

I would consider myself an intermediate guitar player, but a beginner at classical. I have tried this forum in the past, but I had a hard time accessing and navigating resources. Hopefully I can figure things out this time!

Thanks for allowing me to join again. I look forward to trying to be a productive member of this community. I hope I don't forget to post every month.. I'm not the best with things like that.

Chris
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

oski79

Re: Hello from the woods of Missouri.

Post by oski79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here areMssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on that.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome oski79!

I'll be sure to read both of the links which you have provided.

I like that you guys have a zero tolerance policy for BS. That's great. I have added my location to my profile, per your suggestion.. It would really be awesome if I could bump into others in my area who are into classical guitar.
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:49 pm
.... I have added my location to my profile, ...
hi,

not sure what you did but your location is not visible.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm
Christopher Langley wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:49 pm
.... I have added my location to my profile, ...
hi,

not sure what you did but your location is not visible.
Nice catch simonm! I fixed it!

On a side note.. If you guys have a chance.. Could you look at these method books I have stumbled across this morning and tell me if these are at all worth-while?

https://archive.org/details/TheComplete ... ssicGuitar

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/w ... 1-2017.pdf

Or maybe I should just be trying to work on accessing materials available on here? I'm not sure where or how to "start" or how to access lessons/materials on here, I'm just kinda stumbling around. Could use some direction.

I have learned some pieces off of youtube (lessonsbyjames), such as malaguena, greensleeves, romaza, etc.. but I can tell that they are very stripped-down "beginner" arrangements. I'd like to work up to to playing these kind of pieces accurately and in full.

An end goal of mine might be to play something like Capricho Arabe.. Do you guys think that is a realistic song to want to work towards?

Apologies if I'm not asking questions in the right areas.. I don't even know if you guys will see this or not. I just figured you have been helpful thus far.. So, it's worth asking my current questions. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 pm

If you are looking for a good method book Julio Sagreras book is available on this site.
http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/Julio_Salvad ... itarra.pdf

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Stickyhead wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 pm
If you are looking for a good method book Julio Sagreras book is available on this site.
http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/Julio_Salvad ... itarra.pdf
Thank you! Should I be looking for a good method book?

Lol. I think I just figured out how to observe D01 Lessons. I'm going to try to start there..

Unless I should look at the book first or something. Open to suggestions from all! :D
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I am a beginner to CG, I started out with a teacher and he started me on the Julio Sagreras method book so and I am still using it. I have not had a chance to do the delcamp lessons so I can not say what is better. From what I gather the delcamp lessons have a start date and the students progress together. The current lessons have already started so I don't know how much support and or feedback you will get starting them on our own.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Stickyhead wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm
I am a beginner to CG, I started out with a teacher and he started me on the Julio Sagreras method book so and I am still using it. I have not had a chance to do the delcamp lessons so I can not say what is better. From what I gather the delcamp lessons have a start date and the students progress together. The current lessons have already started so I don't know how much support and or feedback you will get starting them on our own.
Thank you for the info Stickyhead!

I think I'm gonna give the delcamp lessons a go since they have accompanying videos! It seems to me that you can observe the lessons and download the materials freely (once you have 2 posts).

I thought you -had- to participate in the classes, but it looks like that isn't the case.. which is good for me. I'd rather self-teach, for now. I might come to find that I need that feedback later on down the road though..

I have already learned something! How to do a real rest-stroke.. I was bringing my rest strokes into my palm. I get a much more even sound doing proper rest-strokes and I'm not scrambling to mute strings with my thumb and other fingers.
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

John Jay

Post by John Jay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi Christopher,

Although a newbie here myself, I wanted to reach out and welcome you when I saw that you're from beautiful Marthasville, MO! My wife and I spent our last wedding anniversary there, in a romantic little cabin in the woods, and had a great weekend relaxing, biking the Katy Trail, and visiting some of the local wineries. We had so much fun that we might make it an annual getaway destination.

Back on topic, I hope that this forum helps you get where you want to go with the classical guitar. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the lessons here if you end up pursuing them. And I would second the vote for Sagreras should you decide that you want a method.

For inspiration, here is an amazing rendition of Capricho Arabe that I happened to stumble on a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xopSxXoqMmQ

(If the link doesn't work, just search youtube for "matt palmer capricho arabe".)

Best of luck,

John

fretter

Post by fretter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 am

Hi there, newer to the forum than you are. Glad you asked about method books. Seems books are often either too easy or too advanced when you're on your own. I hope things are going well with your guitar-ing. I too am looking for a CG above entry level, and I get outbid everywhere I go. Strict budget. For now, I'm renewing CG skills on a steel string. What fun! Hope you get where you want to go.

Return to “Introduce yourself”