Hello from Evanston, Illinois

Paul Frankel
Amateur luthier

Hello from Evanston, Illinois

Post by Paul Frankel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello to everyone. Just joining the forum. I'm a long time classical guitar player and a novice luthier. I studied with luthier Charles Fox in Vermont back in the 1970's, which was also the time period I studied classical guitar with Jack Cecchini in Chicago. I went to Fox because I couldn't afford to buy the guitars I wanted during my period of intense study as a player. After building a classical guitar with Fox, I came back to Chicago and made a couple of steel strings, which turned out pretty well. Then I got diverted into playing with a touring and recording band, starting an ad agency, raising a family, etc. Anyway, now I'm back at it. Have a workshop in my basement and am starting to build a classical guitar. I've decided as my re-entry into the guitar making world to build a replica of Segovia's 1937 Hauser. I have Richard Bruné's 2016 plans and the plans from Georgia Luthier Supply - which don't exactly match, but that's another story. Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried to follow these plans. I'm using a German spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides. So far, I've joined and leveled the top and am about to set the rosette and start on the neck. I'm using my old notes from Fox's workshop along with the Courtnall book as a guide, and occasionally turning to Irving Sloane's old book as well. My question today is about the neck; my plan is to split the mahogany, turn it and rejoin it. I'm a little concerned about reinforcement. I have two carbon fiber rods as well as a strip of rock maple. My thought was to put the maple in the center of the mahogany joint and place the carbon rods on either side of the neck. Is this overkill?

oski79

Re: Hello from Evanston, Illinois

Post by oski79 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

You might want to re-post your question on the luthier's forum where it is more likely to be seen by someone who can help you.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here areMssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on that.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Welcome from Oak Park. And of course if you want, you can always go over to Richard Brune"s shop and ask him. As you probably already know, he's a great guy.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Paul Frankel
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Frankel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi, Rick. Yes, Bruné's shop is just 4 blocks from where I live and we've met several times. I've thought about stopping by, but I don't want to bother him with mundane questions. Figure I'll wait until I have a few issues stored up and unload on him all at once some day.

Return to “Introduce yourself”