Greetings from Kansas City

John Jay

Greetings from Kansas City

Post by John Jay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello Delcampers,

I am returning to playing the guitar after (most recently) a layoff of 6 years. I first began playing over 40 years ago, when I was 14. I studied privately with a local college professor for three years, but played less and less as first school, then work and family demanded increasing amounts of my time. I returned to playing in 1999 but developed a hand issue in 2003 that ultimately was diagnosed as Focal Dystonia (only because the doctors didn't know what else to call it, I think). It was completely painless, but caused my right hand fingers, especially my "i" finger, to "freeze" after contraction. I made a comeback attempt in 2009, but the issue resurfaced a few years later.

My self-diagnosis is that I was pushing myself too hard, playing pieces that were beyond my base level of conditioning and focusing too much on speed. This time I'm taking it slow and easy, playing simpler pieces, doing a lot more warm-up, and constantly focusing on minimizing tension. It's still early but I feel confident that this approach will let me keep playing without further problems. I would also be very grateful for any advice or suggestions that any of you who may have dealt with similar hand issues can offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introductory post. I look forward to participating in the forum.

Best regards,

John Jay

oski79

Re: Greetings from Kansas City

Post by oski79 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here areMssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on that.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

John Jay

Re: Greetings from Kansas City

Post by John Jay » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you for the tips.

Return to “Introduce yourself”