Hello from the Midlands, UK

Bitsville

Hello from the Midlands, UK

Post by Bitsville » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 am

I found you good people after researching information on my early 1970's Yamaha GC-10D. Wonderful postings by everyone, so very many thanks. I have often wondered about the history of these models, having owned this lovely thing for ten years or so.

One question I have for those in the know; my guitar seems to have a wide neck, with a 54 mm nut. Are all GC series to that dimension I wonder? I have quite short fingers, and have some difficulty despite the general action and sound being wonderful.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from the Midlands, UK

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am

Hello Bitsville and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

drexparker

Post by drexparker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Bitsville from UK! Welcome to the CG forum. I'm from NJ, USA. Many classical guitars have nut widths closer to 51-52 mm but there is a fair amount of variation from what I've seen (but I am no expert). My old Yairi classical (Japanese like your Yamaha) has nut width ~52 mm. I switched from steel string acoustic (Taylor) which has 44 mm (1-3/4") and when I first began playing the Yairi last fall it seemed enormously wide. But now that I'm playing almost exclusively the classical, the steel acoustic feels way too skinny and prone to mistaken fingering, and the classical feels normal and more capable! The more spacious fret board seems essential to making progress in classical and related music.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi, and welcome!

In addition to a wide nut (52 mm is standard for most classical guitars), it is possible that your guitar also has a longer string length, perhaps around 662 mm (rather than the standard 650 mm, measured from nut to saddle). Some of the 1970s Yamahas copied the dimensions of Segovia's larger Ramirez 1A, and yours could be one of those. Whatever the case, I am sure it sounds lovely!

Cheers!

nicolasDR103

Post by nicolasDR103 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

Hello Bitsville and welcome!
I changed from a 660mm (probably 54mm nut) guitar to a 650mm few years ago and it's been a lot easier but took a lot of getting used to, especially because much less strength was needed in the right hand. What is also important of course is the height of the strings. Maybe if you get them lowered would help.
Where are you situated in the Midlands? I was wondering if you know of any classical guitar concerts esp. in Birmingham/Coventry, or something like a guitar society (or classical music in general)?

Return to “Introduce yourself”