Hello from Middle Tennessee

yelleko

Hello from Middle Tennessee

Post by yelleko » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm reminded of the old joke: Two guys on a bus are talking about their latest vacations, and the one who'd been to Florida says, "I'm tan from the Sun". The other say, "Oh yeah? Well I'm Bob from Earth."

That being said, I am from middle Tennessee and am just beginning my fourth year as a student of classical guitar. I won't play in front of anyone except my teacher, my wife, and my dog.

I presently own a J.MARCARIO 145 Spruce (from France) and a HORABE Model 35 Cedar (from Japan). Having owned (and sold) more than a dozen classicals (including an old Yamaha GC-3D and an old Yamaha GC-7M), the two I have are the ones that currently sound and feel the best to me.

Just yesterday I purchased a H. Yamaguchi CERVANTES 500 but have yet to receive it. When it arrives I may comment on its sound, but maybe not. One thing I've learned about guitars is that two identical makes & models never sound/play the same; one is always slightly better than another. Plus, considering that I'm not an expert (on anything), my opinion on any guitar is virtually worthless to anyone other than myself.

Nevertheless, I enjoy reading postings by other guitar enthusiasts. Sometimes I see something that is helpful or that causes me to think in a new direction. For that, I'm thankful.

Finally, over the last two years I have been adding a second sound port to all my guitars - the ones I keep and the ones I sell. To date I've done this (myself) more than a dozen times and have NEVER had a bad result. In fact, I have now made it a rule, regardless of what guitar I buy (including the rarer ones ... the Yamaha GC-3D and GC-7M) I always add this sound port. In EVERY instance, the guitar sounds louder and clearer to me (the player), does NOT diminish the overall volume or voice of the guitar, nor does it weaken the guitar's structural integrity. Should enough people be interested, I may be induced to post the procedure and some photos.

So, there you have it ... my self-introduction. Best regards.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Middle Tennessee

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Hello yelleko and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:36 am

Hello and welcome to the forum!

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:28 am

Would love to see some examples of your ports - from another Mid-Tennessee-an.
Ken

yelleko

Post by yelleko » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 pm

khayes wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:28 am
Would love to see some examples of your ports - from another Mid-Tennessee-an.
Here is a link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o6vflzkc1weh ... t.pdf?dl=0 ) to a .pdf of the procedure along with photographs.

I would have uploaded the .pdf to this thread, but it won't accept portable document formats.

Best regards.

Return to “Introduce yourself”