Hello from Birmingham Alabama!

mflurry

Hello from Birmingham Alabama!

Post by mflurry » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi everyone. I am 54 and have been playing guitar since I was 13. I started playing classical guitar when I was 21 and studied guitar in college at 25. That is a little late to start serious study of the instrument but it is what I did. Recently I bought a new classical guitar and started playing again after about a 6 year hiatus. I'm amazed at how easily the music I once played regularly is coming back to me. If I had to guess, I'd say I should have all the music I once played back at performance level in about 6 months. Or at least most of it.
I'm ready to meet and chat with fellow guitarists.
Mo

simonm

Re: Hello from Birmingham Alabama!

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Hello Mo,

Welcome to the forum. Second new member from Alabama on the same day. Must be a record of some kind. :-)

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".

Regards,

Simon

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello Mo - I was born in Bham and lived there for 27 years. Did you take lessons from anyone in particular? Where did you attend college? Welcome to the forum.
Ken

mflurry

Post by mflurry » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Ken
I studied under Mark Godwin and then Brian Lutterbie at UAB.
Mo

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 am

mflurry wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Hi Ken
I studied under Mark Godwin and then Brian Lutterbie at UAB.
Mo
Did you ever know or meet David Walbert?
Ken

mflurry

Post by mflurry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm

I never have met David Walbert. I wish there was a Birmingham classical guitar group. I'd love to meet other guitarist and hang out. May pick a few tunes and share ideas.

fretter

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am

Hello Birmingham! It's funny how there's no real cure for classical guitar. Glad you're back into it, and impressed that you're able to return to performance level so easily. I'm definitely jealous. When I look at music I played 30 years ago, I can't believe I ever played it. Complete amnesia. lol (You didn't get dumber, as I did. Fortunate you.)

mflurry

Post by mflurry » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 am

Fretter, it is true. No cure at all. I'm glad too. I'm finding that there are some pieces that I must relearn because they are completely gone. But still after 3 months of refresher I have about 30 pieces ready for performance and I'm writing some as well. I can't believe I ever put the classical away. I even sold my Mikhail Robert Concert Grand about 5 years ago.

Return to “Introduce yourself”