Introducing Alextheguitarman

Alextheguitarman

Introducing Alextheguitarman

Post by Alextheguitarman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello,
I have played guitar for over fifty years, a mixture of classical, folk, electric and rock. Plus I dabble with bass guitar and mandolin.
I used to teach guitar at evening classes, to a wide variety of people, aged from 18 to late 60s. It was a great experience, and taught me a lot about the way people learn.
Recently, I have returned to classical guitar, waking up muscles and stretches I had forgotten. A large selection of classical tutor books and Gitarren Archiv are my playground.
One particular piece I cannot find, is in drop D tuning, in 3/4 time. It has a fixed bass line of low D, A, D, with a melody predominantly on the top two strings, repeated later on the 4th and 3rd strings. Title? Not a clue! I had a copy, years ago, and would love to rediscover it.
Any ideas?
I look forward to joining in on any thread that I can help with, or that simply appeals to me.

Alex

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Introducing Alextheguitarman

Post by GeoffB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 am

Hello Alex,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. Sorry, I don't have any ideas about your mystery piece. If you don't get any answers here, you could try asking again in Public Space with a suitably descriptive title.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 am

Alextheguitarman wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 pm
Hello,
I have played guitar for over fifty years, a mixture of classical, folk, electric and rock. Plus I dabble with bass guitar and mandolin.
I used to teach guitar at evening classes, to a wide variety of people, aged from 18 to late 60s. It was a great experience, and taught me a lot about the way people learn.
Recently, I have returned to classical guitar, waking up muscles and stretches I had forgotten. A large selection of classical tutor books and Gitarren Archiv are my playground.
One particular piece I cannot find, is in drop D tuning, in 3/4 time. It has a fixed bass line of low D, A, D, with a melody predominantly on the top two strings, repeated later on the 4th and 3rd strings. Title? Not a clue! I had a copy, years ago, and would love to rediscover it.
Any ideas?
I look forward to joining in on any thread that I can help with, or that simply appeals to me.

Alex
Alex

Welcome to this forum. I hope you enjoy this space.

To get your question regarding the music pice the correct exposure, I would suggest to post it as a separate item in a matching category. At the bottom of an introduction it is a bit buried.

I think in general it is not a good idea to mix multiple issues into a single thread.

I hope you get some useful answers this way.

Joachim

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 am

Welcome, Alex
As for the mystery piece: Try Saltarello as played on one of the earlierJohn William's albums?
My score attributes it to G.Sanz, but my score being handwritten may be incorrect.
Hope this helps.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 am

I agree it sounds like Saltarello but the copies I have attribute it to Anon. It is one of the lute pieces transcribed for the guitar by Oscar Chilesotti.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Alextheguitarman

Post by Alextheguitarman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Thank you for identifying my mystery tune - well done!
I found several versions through a quick Google search, all very similar to my memory of the piece. I could develop my own variations on the basic tune.

Thanks again, Alex.

fretter

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am

Nice to meet you, Alex. Glad you're here.

Return to “Introduce yourself”