Hi from Surrey

Guildford_Gas

Hi from Surrey

Post by Guildford_Gas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 pm

Have played guitar, off and on, for over 50 years. Got into Classical Guitar seriously after playing folk/blues style for about ten years.

Whilst living in Brentwood (Essex) where there was a very active Guitar Society of which I was a member, I worked at a Polytechnic where Peter Rueffer ran classical guitar sessions for students/staff. Any technique I had/have is the result of those sessions. I started with a not very good guitar and no fingernails!! Peter arranged the purchase of a Cuenca 60P dated 1982 after a short time.

I left the area in 1986 for a new job, its demands as well as those of a young family resulted in no guitar playing for around 12 years. When I started again I played some electric and acoustic steel string, some fingerstyle exploring altered tunings but a lot of plectrum as well.

I have recently got the bug again and am going to play classical style again. I'm retired now so have plenty of time to practice! I stumbled on this site and am amazed at how vibrant a community it appears to be, so decided to join.

The old Cuenca sounds OK on some parts of the fingerboard but pretty dead on others which is not surprising since it is 30 years unplayed. I anticipate ultimately getting an instrument with a slightly smaller scale length - small hands and fingers can just span an octave on a piano with any comfort. I'm sure with practice I can stretch them a little more but at my age don't want the hassle or possible injury.

For the moment I need to decide whether the cost of getting the Cuenca seen to is worth it. If anybody remembers the 60P model and can suggest the equivalent for a guitar student today it would help enormously with costing that decision.

Mods - if that question is best asked elsewhere, please let me know.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hi from Surrey

Post by GeoffB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

Hi Guildford_Gas,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions.

By the way, you may get some answers here to your question about buying another instrument but a better place to post it would be in the Advice on buying section with a suitably descriptive title, which will make it more likely to be read and to get replies than hidden away here in the Introductions section.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Guildford_Gas

Post by Guildford_Gas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks Geoff for the welcome and advice.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 am

Hello and welcome: I used to work with Peter R in ensembles and once lived round the corner from that poly.
Step 1 for the guitar - new strings! After that play it plenty and it should wake up again.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Brian99

Post by Brian99 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am

Hi Guildford_Gas,

welcome aboard.. I'm sending you a PM with info on a group in our area..

cheers
Brian

Guildford_Gas

Post by Guildford_Gas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks Stephen. I had put new strings on it and am playing it quite a lot. You are right - it is improving, or maybe I'm just getting used to the sound!

When I knew Peter he was playing in a Quartet I think - was it Omega or something like that. I think he also played with Ray Burley?

Brian - I'm just responding to your PM. Thanks for the offer.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Guildford_Gas wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm
Thanks Stephen. I had put new strings on it and am playing it quite a lot. You are right - it is improving, or maybe I'm just getting used to the sound!

When I knew Peter he was playing in a Quartet I think - was it Omega or something like that. I think he also played with Ray Burley?
Peter was in the Omega Players (a larger ensemble) and the Pro Arte Trio, with various including Ray. He asked me once and I foolishly declined :oops:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

fretter

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am

Hi and welcome. Guitar is a bug, isn't it? It can sleep for a long time, due to other obligations, but it never goes away. Glad you're getting back to it.

Return to “Introduce yourself”