Hello from Glasgow!

Lyn

Hello from Glasgow!

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 am

Hi. My name is Lynda and I play guitar! I began over 50 years ago on a wee plectrum guitar, using the MelBay method, with my guitar teacher, Ron Moore. I'd always wanted to learn piano, but I’d had a nasty accident a couple of years before in which I'd lost the top third of my right hand pinky. Ron was a friend of my Mum’s and he told her I wouldn't need that finger to play guitar and he would teach me. For those who don't know of Ron, he was well known during the 1960s as a jazz guitarist, frequently appearing on TV and on the club circuit in the U.K. and he also taught. In fact, I believe he taught David Russell, who is the same age as me, around the same time!

Ron approached my Mum about switching to classical guitar quite soon after I started because I showed some aptitude. He got my first guitar for me - a Granada, and set me on the path to a life-long passion. He put me forward for music festivals, steered me though my GCSE exams in Music and he took me to see the Great Segovia in Glasgow Candleriggs City Hall. He wanted me to make performing my career, but I was never comfortable performing - I was, and always will be, a teacher! So he started me along that path by sending me all his younger pupils! He preferred teaching mid teens and older. He even sent me his daughter, Amber, when she decided she'd like to learn! Sadly, Ron passed away a few years ago. I never lost touch with him (he lived near me) and I'll always be grateful to him for the love of the guitar he instilled in me all those years ago.

I spent the following years, after qualifying as a teacher, in the Scottish Education system, as a class teacher, a member of the Local Authority Educational Development Team, and as Depute and sometimes-Acting Head Teacher of a large Primary School. I got married, had a family, kept up my private pupils and ran various after-school guitar groups, none of which gave me much time for serious playing!

When I retired, in 2012, I had time to devote to my own development of the instrument and my love for it has grown. Although I have erosive arthritis in my fretting hand, I keep playing, although I sometimes have to be quite creative with the fingering! I joined Simon Powis’s online Classical Guitar Academy ( which I HIGHLY recommend to other guitarists out there!) and I'm now playing regularly for my own pleasure.

I still teach guitar (can't seem to stop!) and I do a day at our local Secondary School working with some great young people. It's voluntary, so I don't get paid, but I get as much pleasure out of it as they do, because it gives me the opportunity to ‘share the music’. I still love classical music, but I also play folk music, and I LOVE blues!

As for guitars - I still have my old Granada, a P. Caballero I bought when I qualified, (cost me my first two month’s wages!) and recently I got a Córdoba Iberia Dolce Parlor and Córdoba C9 Parlor as they are a bit easier on my hands, being 7/8 size. I have a Yamaha C40 too.

I also have a motley selection of guitars I picked up in auctions, charity shops and on Gumtree and similar sites! I clean them up, fix any minor defects and restring them, then lend them out to my guitar kids who don't have guitars of their own. Thanks to my very helpful luthier, Ian, at The Guitar Workshop, Glasgow, who helps me out when there's something I can't fix myself. Goodness knows what I'm going to do with them all when I do eventually stop teaching!

I think that's about all. I thank you for reading, and I hope I haven't bored anyone with too much trivia! (I was following the site guidelines about content!) and I look forward to exploring the site. Oh! I forgot - I mentioned about not taking up piano because of my missing finger tip? I decided to have a go anyway, in my late forties and I now play comfortably around Grade 5/6! I'll never be a concert pianist, but at least I can still enjoy the music when my hands are too sore to play my guitar!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Glasgow!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 am

Hello Lynda and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the the forum and thanks for the excellent introduction! I'm sure you're going to love it here.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Lynda. Welcome to the forum. I was fascinated by your introduction, not least because I have lived virtually all my life in Glasgow. So of course I know Ron Moore by reputation. Although primarily a jazz guitarist, he had a significant impact on the Glasgow classical guitar scene. I am not sure if it is only the David Russell connection, but a couple of years ago a visiting professor of guitar from the US conversed at length with me about him. In fact he gave me very strong encouragement to learn Ron's Clyde Suite (which I have yet to do). Russell recorded it for one of his albums - I wonder if he might play it, or maybe at least the Cumbraes, when he comes to Millport this summer.

I am sure you are aware that the Guitar (& harp) department at the RCS has a great reputation in our world. Do you attend guitar events there? I try to go to as many as possible. The next one I hope to attend is this Saturday afternoon (10th) when the Junior Conservatoire Guitar Competition takes place. :casque:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Welcome, Lyn
Enjoyed reading your introduction, and I look forward to your contributions. I find forum posts by teachers especially informative and helpful.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Lynda,
Thank you for a thoughtful and engaging introduction. I’m inspired by your enthusiasm and dedication.
I’m glad you decided to join Delcamp and look forward to your continuing participation!
All the best,
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm
Hi Lynda. Welcome to the forum. I was fascinated by your introduction, not least because I have lived virtually all my life in Glasgow. So of course I know Ron Moore by reputation. Although primarily a jazz guitarist, he had a significant impact on the Glasgow classical guitar scene. I am not sure if it is only the David Russell connection, but a couple of years ago a visiting professor of guitar from the US conversed at length with me about him. In fact he gave me very strong encouragement to learn Ron's Clyde Suite (which I have yet to do). Russell recorded it for one of his albums - I wonder if he might play it, or maybe at least the Cumbraes, when he comes to Millport this summer.

I am sure you are aware that the Guitar (& harp) department at the RCS has a great reputation in our world. Do you attend guitar events there? I try to go to as many as possible. The next one I hope to attend is this Saturday afternoon (10th) when the Junior Conservatoire Guitar Competition takes place. :casque:
Hi George,
Thanks for the great welcome!
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - still finding my way around the site. More about Ron - he got more and more involved with classical guitar and teaching during the sixties, partly because of me! When I sat my 'O' grade music in guitar, the Scottish examination board had to send to England for an examiner - if I remember rightly, I was the first kid in Scotland, if not UK, to choose guitar as my instrument! Afterwards, Ron was approached by The Royal Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow - it's now The Royal Conservatoire, and asked to teach classical guitar there, which he did. Ron gave me a copy of his Clyde Suite and taught me to play it - I still have the original copy but I struggle to play it well now because of my dodgy hand. I've heard David's recording and he does it justice: it's a lovely piece.
I've never had the time to get involved with any guitar events at RCS, but I'd like to now that I'm retired! As I mentioned, I'm a member of Simon Powis's online Classical Guitar Academy and I'm actually booked to attend the Summer School in Beverly this summer!

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Great intro. Welcome onboard. I'd say "céad míle fáilte" in Scots Gaelic but I don't know if I can trust the Wikepedia translation …

dogmatic

Post by dogmatic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Lynda

Great introduction and I feel we probably know each other as we must be about the same age and probably went to the same school. I also took lessons from Ron Moore, starting in 1969, in his studio in Glasgow. You say you lived near Ron so I take it you lived in Bishopbriggs, where I lived, and worked there until about 2001. I had lessons with Ron on and off until my mid-thirties. We then largely lost touch until I met him in McCormick's after he had just turned 80. I then went to his house regularly to play in a quartet, me being the very junior partner.
If you lived in Bishopbriggs in the 80s and 90s you will probably remember the bookshop I owned, Bookpoint. We're still booksellers but over in Hyndland now.
There are lots of members here from Glasgow and Scotland and many events are announced here. As George said there's a lot of events at the RCS and there's also the excellent Classical Guitar Retreat in Millport every July, run by Matthew McAllsiter. The highlight of this year's retreat is David Ruseel, performing for the second time in Millport.
Hope to see you around

David

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm

dogmatic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm
Hi Lynda

Great introduction and I feel we probably know each other as we must be about the same age and probably went to the same school. I also took lessons from Ron Moore, starting in 1969, in his studio in Glasgow. You say you lived near Ron so I take it you lived where I lived, and worked there until about 2001. I had lessons with Ron on and off until my mid-thirties. We then largely lost touch until I met him in McCormick's after he had just turned 80. I then went to his house regularly to play in a quartet, me being the very junior partner.
If you lived there in the 80s and 90s you will probably remember the bookshop I owned, Bookpoint. We're still booksellers but over in Hyndland now.
There are lots of members here from Glasgow and Scotland and many events are announced here. As George said there's a lot of events at the RCS and there's also the excellent Classical Guitar Retreat in Millport every July, run by Matthew McAllsiter. The highlight of this year's retreat is David Ruseel, performing for the second time in Millport.
Hope to see you around

David
Oh my goodness, David! It really is a small world!
Ron lived five minutes away from me! I still live in the same street! And yes, of course, I do remember Bookpoint - I shopped there all the time!
I slipped away from the guitar community in my twenties, when I was so involved with family and my teaching career, so I lost touch. I'm hoping to remedy that now. I only found out about the retreat in Millport a wee while ago, when I'd already booked to go to America for the summer school. Hopefully I'll get there next time! It's so nice to know there are other guitarists close by - like I said, I managed to get myself very isolated!
Last edited by Lyn on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dogmatic

Post by dogmatic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:30 pm

I know the area well Lynda. I went to Balmuildy school until 1967 then the high school. We lived up the other end in Viewfield Road. Good to hear you were a customer !
I will send you a PM

David

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Here is another RCS Delcamper (though maybe more Glasgow than Edinburgh) - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118018. Do you know Sean? - a superb talent. His CD is well worth a listen.

Oh, and by the way, in the 1960s I often visited my aunt who lived on the corner of Stirling Drive and Balmuildy Road.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi George, listened and voted! I don't know Sean, sadly. Your aunt stayed in the same area as I - but I've only been here since 1978!
Last edited by Lyn on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Please do, David! Will look forward to hearing from you!

fretter

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 am

Hello, Lynda! Enjoyed your intro so much I wish we could chat over a cup of tea. (or a drop of whisky, your choice) I love your story. I'm always fascinated by how the love of guitar manifests and transforms a person. The common thread in this community usually comes back to the gifts we get from a guitar. I also like the guitars you own. Bless people like Ron Moore and you, who spread the love and sense of accomplishment and self-worth. You're much appreciated in this world. Play on!

Return to “Introduce yourself”