Learning guitar in sunny Singapore

Jared Lee

Learning guitar in sunny Singapore

Post by Jared Lee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:38 am

Hey everyone,

Just a little about myself and my humble guitar journey:

I started off on a steel string, playing from tabs, off and on for years. Finally decided to get more focused and learn the proper way; I've had a classical guitar teacher for half a year now.

I initially chose classical guitar because I've read that it builds very good foundations and I can move on anywhere from there pretty easily. My goal is to play "modern" songs that I enjoy very much, like "Careless Whisper". I also enjoy pieces like "Autumn Leaves" and "Canon in D".

I will be sitting for my first classical guitar exam in April. My teacher felt I could skip the first few grades, so I will be doing Grade 6. Very nervous about that though...

Anyway, hope to get to know people here!
Last edited by Jared Lee on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Learning guitar in Singapore

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 am

Hello whichwaytogo and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

fretter

Re: Learning guitar in sunny Singapore

Post by fretter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 am

Greetings, whichwaytogo. There's something so special about classical guitar that it's hard to find anyone who regrets learning the technique. You can do so much with it. Sounds like you're doing very well, or your teacher wouldn't have promoted you. I haven't met anyone who didn't feel nervous or very anxious about performing. Wishing you well.

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 am

fretter wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 am
Greetings, whichwaytogo. There's something so special about classical guitar that it's hard to find anyone who regrets learning the technique. You can do so much with it. Sounds like you're doing very well, or your teacher wouldn't have promoted you. I haven't met anyone who didn't feel nervous or very anxious about performing. Wishing you well.
Hi fretter, thank you for the well wishes. Yes, it is a constant struggle but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

My teacher did mention that he feels I am progressing at an above average pace. But I just worry he may be overestimating my abilities. It feels as if I am not progressing on the exam pieces. I keep making mistakes here and there despite playing them many times over.

And not forgetting the other components of the exam! I've hardly gotten any ear training, theory, etc and I'm going to be tested on those...

kenleeyw

Post by kenleeyw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi whichwaytogo, welcome to the forums! I am from Singapore too, and it's great to see another Singaporean here once in a while...

All the best for your upcoming exams :) It's been quite a while since I took my exams..

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:46 pm

kenleeyw wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm
Hi whichwaytogo, welcome to the forums! I am from Singapore too, and it's great to see another Singaporean here once in a while...

All the best for your upcoming exams :) It's been quite a while since I took my exams..

Hi kenleeyw, thank you for the welcome! I'm not very familiar with the local CG scene but it seems to be pretty quiet... So yes it is nice to know other Singaporean CG players

Thanks. What grade did you finish at?

chelson

Post by chelson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

whichwaytogo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:38 am

I will be sitting for my first classical guitar exam in April. My teacher felt I could skip the first few grades, so I will be doing Grade 6. Very nervous about that though...

Anyway, hope to get to know people here!
AB, or Trinity, or LCM, or?
What pieces are you preparing?
Where is your lesson?
Is your teacher good?
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 pm

chelson wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Where is your lesson?
Is your teacher good?
1. VCM
2. Canario, Sor's Etude in D + Autumn Leaves
3. Prefer not to disclose this
4. My first teacher, so I'm not sure. But so far... I don't think so.

chelson

Post by chelson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 am

whichwaytogo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 pm
chelson wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Where is your lesson?
Is your teacher good?
1. VCM
2. Canario, Sor's Etude in D + Autumn Leaves
3. Prefer not to disclose this
4. My first teacher, so I'm not sure. But so far... I don't think so.
No worry. Haha, I asked because I have an exciting thought if to try a practical exam on my own. However, dilemma over whether should I consult a teacher to prepare for it or just "chiong", and which board to go for. Now you have introduced another board beside AD, Trini and LCM. Interesting.

A "good" teacher is subjective.

Nevertheless, Good Luck and Best for your exam!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm

chelson wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 am

No worry. Haha, I asked because I have an exciting thought if to try a practical exam on my own. However, dilemma over whether should I consult a teacher to prepare for it or just "chiong", and which board to go for. Now you have introduced another board beside AD, Trini and LCM. Interesting.

A "good" teacher is subjective.

Nevertheless, Good Luck and Best for your exam!
Hmm not sure about your background but I think if you want to do an exam, should do it right with guidance of a teacher. IMO, a few hundred dollars is too expensive just to "chiong" .

Yes, I don't see a lot of mention of VCM online. I guess it's a collaboration between my school and the board. My teacher also says this board's exam is "more forgiving". VCM Grade 6 corresponds to say Trinity Grade 5.

Thank you but I don't think luck will help me with the exam :wink:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 am

Greetings and welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here!

kenleeyw

Post by kenleeyw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 pm

whichwaytogo wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:46 pm
kenleeyw wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi kenleeyw, thank you for the welcome! I'm not very familiar with the local CG scene but it seems to be pretty quiet... So yes it is nice to know other Singaporean CG players

Thanks. What grade did you finish at?
I stopped at grade 5 previously...didn't take the theory exams..

Hope your prep is going well!

Return to “Introduce yourself”