50 Shades of Classical Guitar, g-rated.

fretter

50 Shades of Classical Guitar, g-rated.

Post by fretter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 am

Hello. I can guarantee that everyone on this forum plays better than I do. I'm sure most of you play for other humans or even gatherings of humans.(gasp) My guitar love is secret and private, and I haven't played for a long time. See, my old, inexpensive but wonderful-sounding Yahama died a horrible death from flood damage. I was sad for years, because I couldn't afford a guitar that sang to me.

Funny how life circles back on you. I've decided to try and find that rare gem, a good-sounding CG on a very low budget. I want an older guitar, as I had before. I appreciate the history, passing of time, the music that's been played on the instrument, the affection and affinity for the instrument. As a kid, I taught myself the basics on a cheap guitar; looking back, it felt like there must've been an inch between strings and fretboard. Ha ha ha. A few years later, good fortune provided an Ovation bowl back steel 6-string, and I played that for a time, took lessons. Oddly, I learned some basic classical guitar concepts and liked that. Never learned overall music theory, however, which became an issue.

In college, I decided to get a cheap-but-good-sounding nylon string and take a few classes. This is when I fell in love and knew my heart belonged to CG. LIstening, watching, playing, all of it. Stopped playing as much after college, didn't get that far. Still no theory, emphasis was on learning more difficult piece and playing it. Wasn't a music major.

And then I took a detour. Bought a piano as a young adult, took lessons. Teacher said it's be hard for me because I began with guitar. But what hindered me most was music theory, the earlier lack thereof, and feeble sight reading. (Also, my brain switches off when it comes to bass clef, Metal music, and screaming children.) I'd always played by ear, by instinct, by picking up something and quickly memorizing it, and not by playing/naming the actual notes. Was beaten up by music theory during piano lessons. Drifted away from piano as $$$ for lessons (very good teacher) waned. Didn't play anything for decades.

But I'm back, old and cranky, and want to play again before arthritis or a meteroid take me down. The funny (bad) part is now when I look at sheet music, it may as well be Mandarin Chinese. It mocks me. I hope I can find a special guitar (**at a good price, if indifferent/non-player sellers would stop buying them cheaply and inflating the prices online) because it means so much to me. And I'll start at the beginning again if I must. I will focus on sight reading and the bigger picture. My beloved piano teacher would be happy to know her tutelage was not entirely wasted. Brave woman.
(**Just my opinion, obviously. Most people want to make as much money as they can, and I get it. But it knocks some of us out of the running.)

I'm not an elitist. (Guitar models, makers, provenance, performers, pedigree, etc.) Have always loved classical music with strings, and Baroque era in particular. (Cliche, I know. Bach is in my blood.) Also enjoy some Spanish composers, along with others. I'm crazy about an arrangement/execution of Game of Thrones/Rains of Castamere on YouTube. I like many genres in classical arrangement, from historical to contemporary.

My expectations are modest. Just need those warm and resonant tones swirling around the room to soothe the soul. I have no interest in steel strings, although I have a strong sentimental attachment to my Ovation. A friend wants me to accompany her so she can sing. Yeah, no. If I collected guitars, they'd be older classicals. (Eventually, I'd want to make sure they'd be given to someone who would love and play them.) I still appreciate my piano. I appreciate all musical instruments for making the gift of music possible.

Thanks.

A cookie if you read this far.

Erik Zurcher

Re: 50 Shades of Classical Guitar, g-rated.

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 am

Hello fretter and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am

Hi fretter,

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks also for the cookie. Good luck with the search for your new (old) guitar. I hope you will soon be once again enjoying the soothing sounds of the warm and resonant tones swirling around your room.

Paul (from Australia)

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Welcome!
You've got quite an interesting story but I'll tell you now, you play better than me! I just started two and a half weeks ago.

Lots of good folks here to learn from and interact with.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Welcome and thanks for posting a really fun intro.
I'll take an oatmeal raisin. At almost 70 I am always on the lookout for high fiber. :lol:

On your search for a guitar, take a look in pawn shops. The classical guitars there are usually pretty lonely & cheap. Carry along a dust cloth and an allergy pill.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 am

Hello fretter,

We're both new here. I love your story and I'm Bach ridden too. I bet you will find a nice CG without breaking the bank.

Welcome
Joe

McGee

Post by McGee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome. I'm 65 and have played steel string on and off (mostly off) for awhile. Six months
ago I started (from the beginning) on the nylon string with a very talented, classically trained
teacher. I had no idea what I was getting into. It has opened up a whole new world. Good luck
with your journey.

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi fretter! I'll have a chocolate chip please! You made me laugh! And as I know you've read my own intro - I could offer you one of my up-cycled guitars if I knew where you were! I currently have: a Hohner, a Dia II, a Leonora, a Honda, a Yamaha and another wee Parlor guitar I don't have a name for! If nothing else, they all have good strings on them!!
Welcome to the site, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!
🤣

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:43 am

Lyn wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm
Hi fretter! I'll have a chocolate chip please! You made me laugh! And as I know you've read my own intro - I could offer you one of my up-cycled guitars if I knew where you were! I currently have: a Hohner, a Dia II, a Leonora, a Honda, a Yamaha and another wee Parlor guitar I don't have a name for! If nothing else, they all have good strings on them!!
Welcome to the site, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!
🤣
Hi, Lyn!
Each shall have their favorite cookie/biscuit. I'm in the United States, or I'd be round to borrow a guitar! (And would LOVE to visit Scotland.) I'm still looking. Came within the diameter of a first string in obtaining a nice Aria, but it wasn't to be. I need to catch up with you in other threads.

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 am

McGee wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am
Welcome. I'm 65 and have played steel string on and off (mostly off) for awhile. Six months
ago I started (from the beginning) on the nylon string with a very talented, classically trained
teacher. I had no idea what I was getting into. It has opened up a whole new world. Good luck
with your journey.
Thank you for the welcome and encouragement, McGee.How great that a teacher appears when we need one! I believe once it's in your blood, it never leaves. Good luck on your journey, as well.

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 am

Joe90 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 am
Hello fretter,

We're both new here. I love your story and I'm Bach ridden too. I bet you will find a nice CG without breaking the bank.

Welcome
Joe
Bach ridden. lol I suppose there are some who'd see that as a bad thing, but that's OK. And thank you for the positive energy about finding the right guitar. I can use all the help I can get.

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 am

CathyCate wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm
Welcome and thanks for posting a really fun intro.
I'll take an oatmeal raisin. At almost 70 I am always on the lookout for high fiber. :lol:

On your search for a guitar, take a look in pawn shops. The classical guitars there are usually pretty lonely & cheap. Carry along a dust cloth and an allergy pill.
Hi, CathyCate. Oatmeal raisin is in the mail, can't guarantee the cookie-sniffing mail dogs will let them through. lol And agree on the fiber and allergies, too. I look in pawn shops and antique shops, estate sales. Fortunately for pawn shops and sellers, and less fortunate for buyers, the internet has been a great equalizer. Hard to find a gem these days. Everyone and his cousin's parrot can look up a brand, model, value.

At the same time, I've seen incredible guitars for sale online that otherwise I'd never have been able to see, even in a picture. Who doesn't love works of art? -- Keep up with that fiber!

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 am

rpavich wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Welcome!
You've got quite an interesting story but I'll tell you now, you play better than me! I just started two and a half weeks ago.

Lots of good folks here to learn from and interact with.
Hello, rpavich! How about we sit near one another? lol But yes, this forum has been an eye-opening experience. Such a wealth of talent and knowledge here, I feel unworthy. (But I'm still not leaving.) Best wishes to you and your fingers.

fretter

Post by fretter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:17 am

Erik Zurcher wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 am
Hello fretter and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!
Belatedly, thank you for the welcome. I am quite happy to be here.

Return to “Introduce yourself”